What is your best accessory? Most people will vouch for their bags; some will speak of their shoes or sunnies, in fact, they will speak of all kinds of material things! But actually, your best accessory is your smile. A set of beautiful teeth can enhance the beauty of your face like no other. You don’t need anything else to fall back upon if you have a smile which warms the cockles of everyone’s heart. Isn’t it time to take care of your pearlies so that they stay perfect just the way you want them? These home remedies for teeth whitening can do the trick for you!
10 Reasons for Yellow Teeth
Has it ever happened to you that you are randomly looking through your old pictures and cringed at the sight of your yellowish teeth? You are smiling away to glory and suddenly the sight of your unsightly teeth just takes away the beauty of the photograph and you! Then you worry yourself into knots, try every trick in the book to whiten your teeth, stick to brushing thrice a day regimen, and rinse your mouth every time you put a morsel in, yet your teeth don’t seem white enough to complement your looks. So let’s find out why your teeth turn yellowish in the first place.
- Foods/drinks- Beverages like coffee, tea, wines, colas and certain fruits and vegetables, for example apple, potatoes can discolor your teeth.
- Poor dental hygiene- Brushing incorrectly or inconsistently, flossing, and over use of antiseptic lotion can do more harm to your teeth than good.
- Disease- Several diseases that harm the enamel (the hard surface of the teeth) and dentin (the underlying material under the enamel) can spoil your teeth leading to discoloration. Treatments for certain diseases can also make it discolored. For example, radiation and chemotherapy can affect your teeth in multiple ways.
- Tobacco use- Smoking or chewing tobacco can spoil your teeth and discolor it for good measure.
- Medicines- The antibiotics tetracycline and doxycycline are some necessary evils that affect teeth when given to small children whose teeth are in the underdeveloped stage before age 8. Mouthwashes containing chlorhexidine and cetylpyridinium chloride can be detrimental to tooth color. Antihistamines, antipsychotic drugs, and drugs for hypertension also are also the chief causes of tooth discoloration.
- Old age- As you advance towards old age, the outer layer of your teeth that is the enamel, gets worn away unveiling the natural yellow color of dentin.
- Genetics- Some people have naturally bright and thick enamel which are in fact shinier than others.
- Environment- Excessive fluoride exposure from environmental sources like high fluoride content in water or too much use of fluoride applications, rinses, fluoride supplements and toothpaste can reduce the whiteness of teeth.
- Dental materials- Some of the materials used in dentistry, such as amalgam restoration, especially silver sulfide-containing materials, can cast a gray-black color to teeth.
- Unexpected falls- A sudden fall, causing trauma to a child’s teeth can be the root cause of discoloration in children whose teeth are still in the developing stage. A similar thing can happen to the tooth of an adult too.
Home Remedies for White Teeth
If you are thinking of brightening your teeth, you can seek the help simple home remedies which can give your teeth the shine and sparkle which you desire. Check the following to get the best results of teeth whitening at home.
1. Baking Soda and Hydrogen Peroxide:
This serves as a wonderful natural teeth whitener. Many people can vouch for the fact that it improves the appearance of their teeth making it look a whole lot brighter.
You will need
- Small amounts of baking soda
- A small amount of hydrogen peroxide.
- Mix a small amount of hydrogen peroxide with a small amount of baking soda to make a paste. After brushing your teeth, make sure you brush those molars too. Hydrogen peroxide is an excellent antibacterial agent and can work as a great total mouth and gum cleanser and keeps your mouth germ-free.
- Baking soda is a rough substance like sandpaper so you should be sure to mix it with the right amount of hydrogen peroxide. The paste instead of being gritty must have a runny consistency, which will be easy to apply to your teeth.
Strawberries are a delicious way to get rid of tartar in your teeth. The vitamin C in it does the trick.
You will need
- Two or three strawberries.
Take two or three strawberries, mash them up and apply the same on your teeth. We know it’s a bit difficult to do as strawberries are way too yummy to put in your mouth and not eat, but this are a trick endorsed by celebrities who have to keep their pearlies dazzling white and flaunt their million dollar smiles.
Lemons can also help get rid of the yellow discoloration because it contains certain bleaching properties. In fact, gargling with lemon juice and scrubbing your teeth with lemon peel is one of the best ways to make your teeth white again. This is one of the best ways to whiten teeth.
- Few drops of lemon juice.
- I/2 teaspoon of salt.
- Mix together a few drops of lemon juice with some salt.
- Apply the mixture on the stained teeth and rub the paste all over your teeth and gums. Leave it on for a couple of minutes and then flush your mouth thoroughly with water.
- Doing this regularly about twice a week will help your teeth turn considerably white.
Oil pulling is a great technique which gives your teeth a beautiful sheen. Oil pulling is actually an Ayurveda technique to get overall good health. You will get bright teeth when you pull oil and it also helps in eliminating bacteria, plaque, and gingivitis, which will help you get a shiny and healthy set of teeth. The oil that you use is a great way to your clean your mouth and pull out bacteria, parasites and other toxins from your teeth. What is the best way to do oil-pulling? The following points will help you get those shiny teeth:
You will need: A spoonful of any oil (cold-pressed, organic oil). You may choose one from the following list:
- Sesame oil; or
- Coconut oil; or
- Olive oil.
Method: You need to do oil pulling first thing in the morning just after you wake up, before brushing and eating.
- Take the oil in your mouth.
- Swish your mouth with this oil vigorously.
- Pull the oil through the teeth.
- Pull it from one side to other.
- Keep on doing this for at least 15-20 minutes daily.
- Initially, the duration may seem a little off-putting. However, soon you will get used to it and once you get used to it, you will feel the benefits of oil pulling which will act as wonders not only for your teeth but also for your health.
It is one of the basic dental cleansing agents that has been used from time immemorial. It helps regain lost mineral content in the teeth and maintain or restore the white color.
You will need
- A teaspoon of salt
- A pinch of baking soda
- You can use common salt regularly every morning replacing your toothpaste. Another very good option is to mix salt with charcoal and using it for brushing.
- You can also mix common salt with baking soda and use it gently to rub your teeth and gums with it.
You will need
- Fresh basil leaves- 7-8
- Powder of dried orange peel- 2 tsp.
- Take the fresh basil leaves and crush them into a paste.
- Mix the powder of orange peel with the crushed basil leaves and mix well.
- Apply this paste on your teeth.
- Leave for 15-20 minutes.
- Wash off with water.
Be very careful in using salt as it can harm your gums and tooth enamel if used roughly. It gives you instant teeth whitening.
7. Turmeric Paste:
The whole world is now aware of the fact that turmeric can do a great many good things to your health, and you can add teeth whitening among its numerous benefits.
- Organic turmeric powder
- Wet your toothbrush and then put it in 1/8 teaspoon turmeric powder. Brush your teeth as you would normally do but instead of rinsing when you have completed brushing; allow the turmeric to sit on your teeth for 3-5 minutes so that it can work better.
- Spit and rinse thoroughly, then follow up with a second brushing using your regular toothpaste. If you see any yellow remnants around the corners of your mouth, wash with soap and it will rinse away. Also, you may notice turmeric powder left on your teeth or gums it will stain your teeth yellow, but when the turmeric is fully rinsed away you will notice a nice white smile. This is one of the best teeth whitening at the home methods and is most effective at removing the turmeric so you can see the results well.
You may notice a difference with the first application. If not, give it a few days to a week – if you’re wondering whether it will work, try it and you’ll be pleasantly surprised! This can be regarded as one of the best teeth whitening tips.
8. Banana peel: Banana is an amazing fruit, rich in flavor and filled with important minerals like magnesium, potassium, and manganese which help reduce the dirt and yellowness of your teeth.
You will need:
- One Banana peel
- Take a banana and peel off its skin.
- Take the inside of peel of this fruit and rub it gently on your teeth.
- The minerals in banana absorb in your teeth and whiten them with a great effect.
- Repeat the procedure every day for best results.
9. Banyan tree twigs: Many parts of the banyan tree are used in taking care of your teeth and oral health. Its twigs are used physically to clean the yellowish parts of teeth and chewed to keep the mouth squeaky clean and free from gum diseases. The methodology is pretty simple. The twigs are hard when sold in the market; so you should know how to use it properly to give it a sparkling effect.
You will need
- A few twigs of a banyan tree.
- Properly wash the twig.
- Now chew one end of the twig hard in your mouth so that it softens and ends up like a brush with bristles.
- Rub those twig bristles on your teeth in gentle circular motions to clean the dirt and yellow patchy teeth.
10. Bay leaves: Use of bay leaves with a combination of orange peel can also help in the reducing the yellowness of your teeth. People desire sparkling white teeth, and this is a great way to get it. This tip will certainly reduce their headache and keep them smiling forever. Learn how to get rid of yellow teeth using bay leaves by following these main steps:
You will need
- A few bay leaves.
- Orange peel powder.
- Dry bay leaves out in the sun and make a powder like substance.
- Dry up the orange peel and make its powder too.
- Mix both of them together with your toothpaste and brush your teeth with this potent mixture.
- Use this remedy on a regular basis for best results.
A few do’s and don’ts for White Teeth
If you follow a few certain rules, you will surely get a set of white pearlies which you always desired and exude the charm of a confident individual. These are a few of the better ways of natural teeth whitening.
Some do’s to follow
- Always brush your teeth properly, and do it gently, and with time.
- Change your brush on a regular basis.
- Use mouthwash every time you brush your teeth, but you have to use a mild one which does not contain harsh chemicals.
- Eat raw fruits and veggies which will help you retain your white teeth.
- Always rinse your mouth after every meal.
Some Don’ts to Remember
- Don’t rub baking soda roughly as it may affect your tooth enamel.
- Avoid drinking too much of coffee, tea, and similar kind of beverages.
- Avoid tobacco and smoking.
- Avoid energy drinks.
It is best when you take care of teeth with these teeth whitening tips, before they start to turn completely yellow or change their color. A smile is part of your entire personality; If you smile that million dollar smile of yours, you are sure to make onlookers forget all their worries, at least for that split second. So go ahead and smile away but remember to keep your pearlies shining white!