Do you want to know the simple steps to prevent acne? Acne is one of the most common skin problems. It is just a condition of the skin where the oil glands of the skin are involved. It shows up in different kind of bumps such as blackheads, whiteheads, cysts and pimples. Acne can affect people of all ages but is seen to be quite common in teenagers due to their hormonal changes. We mentioned few important ways to get rid of your acne. Just make sure you note them down somewhere and start implementing. So here we go,
Simple Steps to Prevent Acne
Before moving on to simple steps to prevent acne, here is why and how acne is caused? Skin has hair follicles which contain sebaceous glands or oil glands which in turn contains sebum. Sebum is an oil used to lubricate your skin and hair. When the sebaceous glands produces excess amount of sebum, the pores get clogged and traps the bacteria. This excessive amount of sebum will break down the cellular walls in your pores and cause the bacteria to grow. Also acne could be genetic. Medications which contain androgen and lithium may also cause acne. Sometimes eating chocolate too can cause acne. Most of us assume that acne can be a result of too much of stress. Stress doesn’t cause acne but it can worsen the existing acne as rise in stress levels increases the sebum production.
How to treat your skin when you have acne?
Acne is just a skin condition and if taken care properly in its early stages, can be prevented from making it worse. The following simple steps can be a definitive measure for prevention of acne.
1) Wash your hands regularly and keep it clean
Your hands contain lots of germs and dirt and when you touch your face with your hands then it can make your acne worse. When you touch your face with your hands then the germs on it might flow inside the pores and might clog them. Hence it is always recommended to keep your hands clean before touching you face. Simple Steps to Prevent Acne
2) Never try to burst or squeeze the pimple
Keeping your hands clean is just not enough as your hands can do many more things to make the acne worse like squeezing and scratching the acne.
This might create more inflammation and damages your skin. It delays the healing process. Simple Steps to Prevent Acne
3) Always use make-up which doesn’t contain oil and which doesn’t clog the pores
When you wear a make-up which contains oil, it clogs your pores and causes acne. Don’t go to sleep with makeup. Cleanse your skin thoroughly to
remove the make-up. Always use makeup that is non-comedogenic or non-acnegenic. Usually mineral makeup works well with acne.
4) Wash your hair and keep it away from your face
Hair collects sebum and skin residue. If you do not wash your hair properly then it might result in scalp acne which can be annoying and painful. Hence it is recommended to keep the scalp clean and nourished. Dandruff is one of the main reason due to which you might suffer from scalp acne and when the dandruff falls on your face then your forehead might get mild acne.
The ideal remedy to treat scalp acne is to use a shampoo which contains benzoyl peroxide solution.
5) Avoid too much exposure to the sun
Sunburn is skin damage. Sun exposure can cause irritation which makes your acne worse. A burn or tan makes your skin shed more cells which clogs the pores.
6) Wash your face twice a day
Wash your face two times a day. Once when you wake up in the morning and then, right before you go to bed at night. Over-washing can make your oil glands to produce more sebum and thus increases the acne.
7) Always use mild soap and warm water to wash your face
Whenever you wash your face use a mild soap or a soap which is specially designed for acne. Be extremely gentle when you wash your face.
8) Avoid wearing tight garments
It is always preferred to wear loose clothes when your acne is on your shoulders, back or chest. Your skin needs to breathe. Tight garments like caps, headbands etc. must be avoided. Make sure to wear clean clothes.
9) Do not scrub your face hard
Scrubs are used to manually remove dead skin cells. We always assume that scrubbing helps to cleanse out your pores. In fact, scrubbing hard can increase irritation and redness.
10) Cleanse your face as gently as possible
Cleansing your face twice a day helps to remove dirt, excess oil, and makeup without damaging the skin. Cleansing too often doesn’t help your skin as it makes it drier. Hence cleanse your skin as gently as you can.
If your acne stays for a longer period then it is better to consult a dermatologist who can treat it with prescriptive medicines.
Home remedies for treating acne:
Acne can occur to people having both oily and dry skin. We provide you simple solutions for both types of skins. These remedies are inexpensive and effective.
a) Acne Remedies for Dry Skin
- Make a paste of honey and ground almonds. Apply this face all over your face and leave for 20 minutes. Once it dries, rinse it with cool water.
- Mix sandalwood powder and black chickpea powder in equal quantity either with milk or rose water; apply the paste on your face and leave for night. Rinse your face with warm water.
- Mix one tablespoon of oatmeal with equal amounts of sour cream and yogurt and add 3 to 4 drops of lemon juice to the mixture. Apply it on to the affected parts of the skin and leave it on for 15-20 minutes. Rinse it with lukewarm water.
- Separate the egg white from the yolk and add 2-3 tbsps. of lemon juice to it. Apply the mixture on the acne skin and leave it to dry. Wash it with water and tap your face gently with dry towel.
b) Acne Remedies for Oily Skin
- Cut a lemon and squeeze out juice from it to apply on the affected area. Leave it for about 5 minutes and rinse your face with cool water.
- Make paste by mixing 1tbsp of sandalwood powder with ½ tbsp. of turmeric powder. Apply a coat of this paste on your face and keep for about 20 minutes.
- Peel a clove of garlic and cut it in half. Rub the raw side of the garlic clove on the skin to reduce acne.
- Crush dry peel of orange and make a paste. Apply it on the acne affected area and leave it to dry. Cleanse it with cool water.
- Apply cucumber juice on your face and leave it on for nearly 15 minutes. Wash dry it with lukewarm water.
These preventive steps and home remedies have been in practice for many years now and have been proven effective for reducing the acne and it’s after effects. I hope you liked our simple steps to prevent acne article. If you have any queries, post them in the comments below.