Last Updated on
Your, hair is your crowning glory and you take immense pride in your beautiful locks. But with time, the color of your hair the thickness or the texture suffers thanks to pollution and exposure to chemicals. As you age, there are color changes, it becomes dull, limp and lackluster, but you need to do something to restore the bounce and vitality of your hair don’t you? How can you do that? This article will help you decide how you can take care of your hair, and maintain a proper diet for healthy hair. A mane of thick, silky and glossy hair is in fact just a few steps away.
How does your Hair get its distinctive Color?
There are cells naturally produced by the body which emit melanin to give a natural color to your hair. But as you age, the melanin production reduces considerably and you lose the natural color of your hair. Whether it is as rich as a raven’s wing or a deep shade of auburn, your hair color defines you. The healthier you are, the healthier your hair is, so ensure you nourish your hair from within to get that thick bouncy shining locks, which can be called a neighbor’s envy and owner’s pride. Let’s check out home remedies for white hair to turn black then a list of foods for healthy hair to get a thick mane of hair.
Foods, which Nourish Your Hair
Food plays a vital role in taking care of your body, and that includes your hair. No amount of medicines can help you to protect your valued strands if you don’t nourish your hair from within.
- Carbohydrates – Carbohydrates comprise about 55 to 60% of your diet. Carbohydrates are an essential source of energy and help in the growth of body tissues and hair. So, it is important to consume more of complex carbohydrates like vegetables, fruits, whole grains and brown rice instead of sugar and refined flours. Carbohydrate-rich foods are a good source of B-complex vitamins that are vital to healthy hair.
- Protein – Protein is the building block of hair and it should comprise about 20% of your diet. Protein makes the hair strong and prevents breakage. Inadequate protein intake over a lengthy period can cause a major hair fall, which will adversely affect the texture of the hair.Foods high in protein are soy, tofu, dairy products like milk and milk products, nuts, oilseeds, beans, and pulses.
- Essential fatty Acids – Along with a proper diet healthy, hair needs essential fatty acids, which aids dry and brittle hair and improves the texture. Essential fatty acids come from vegetable oils, whole grains, legumes, fresh nuts and oil seeds, flaxseed oil and pumpkin seeds. Roughly 15 – 20% of your daily calories should come from these sources.
- Vitamin A – Vitamin A is necessary for a healthy mane and scalp. Beta-carotene is found in green and yellow vegetables and fruits, sweet potatoes, broccoli, apricots.
- Vitamin E – Vitamin E increases oxygen uptake and improves circulation, thereby improving hair health and growth. Add E to your diet by consuming foods like avocados, rice bran, nuts, dark green vegetables, legumes and whole grains.
- Vitamin K – This is one of the lesser known vitamins but is a very important vitamin for healthy growth of hair. Food sources of Vitamin K include dairy foods, figs, asparagus, broccoli, lettuce, brussel sprouts, cabbage, dark green leafy vegetables, oatmeal, rye, soybeans, wheat, and yogurt.
- Vitamin B – Include B-vitamins in your diet to make sure your hair does not have split-ends which make it rough and unmanageable. These include whole grains, beans, lentils, plenty of fresh fruits and vegetables, especially citrus fruits and tomatoes. Biotin deficiency has been linked to hair loss. Foods which are high in biotin are brown rice, cracked wheat, green peas, lentils, oats, soybeans, sunflower seeds, and walnuts. Dandruff, greasy hair is a result of a deficiency of vitamin B. We must remember these points when we are seeking out home remedies for hair care.
- Vitamin C – Vitamin C is an important vitamin for good circulation, hair growth and hair color. If you have enough vitamin C you will have strong, supple strands of hair that do not split. Vitamin C is an important antioxidant that promotes cell and tissue repair and enhances the immune system. Good sources of vitamin C are all citrus fruits like oranges, lime, lemon, berries, and vegetables like brussel sprouts, cucumbers, tomato, cauliflower, green leafy vegetables and red peppers. A healthy hair diet must be maintained to get best results.
- Iron – Iron helps to transport oxygen to the hair. Without enough iron, hair and its follicles do not get enough oxygen. This means that the goodness in the root of your hair is much less effective along the length of the strand. You can increase your iron intake by eating dark green vegetables, whole grains, and garden cress seeds or by adding iron supplements under supervision. This is a great nutrient and a must- remember point for home remedies for hair color.
- Potassium – Banana is a very potent source of potassium, which is important in nutrient transfer through different cell membranes.
- Magnesium – Magnesium is an essential mineral for hair growth. It is usually contained in foods like whole grains, green leafy vegetables, dairy products, fruits, nuts, and pulses.
- Zinc – Zinc builds hair protein and thus plays a vital role in maintaining good hair condition. Zinc is very helpful in promoting hair growth. Its deficiency is marked by poor hair growth and considerable hair loss. Natural Sources of zinc are legumes, mushrooms, nonfat dry milk, spinach, whole grains, pumpkin seeds, sunflower seeds.
- Iodine and Copper – Replenish your iodine and copper needs by including seafood in your diet. If your iodine levels and copper levels drop, then your melanin production will drop and consequently the texture and color of your hair will suffer. Replenish your iodine and copper levels by adding crabs, oysters and fish to your diet.
Beauty Hacks to restore the Natural Color of Your Hair
Now that you have got your diet in order, you must now try these home remedies for hair care and to make your hair shine. Preserve your hair color with these awesome beauty hacks.
- Amla or Indian gooseberry is famous for its therapeutic usage. It can be consumed as well as added to various hair packs to nourish your hair. Yes, it can be part of any home remedies for hair growth; such is the nutrient value of this very powerful pint-sized fruit. Make a pack of amla shikakai powder and henna powder and add an egg to give the pack a sort of mud like consistency. Apply it on your scalp and wait for an hour to seep its goodness. Wash off with a natural shampoo made by ritha. Not only amla gives your hair a good bounce but stops premature graying and retains the color of your hair.
- The use of henna leaves – Many people detest the deep auburn color that henna lends to the hair. But you can still use henna by boiling henna leaves in mustard oil. Cool it and then use the oil to massage your scalp. This is a very effective remedy to retain the color of your hair and stop it from graying.
- Curry leaves concoction – Boil curry leaves in coconut oil and uses it afterward to give your head the much-needed oil massage. You can use curry leaves as flavoring your dishes. Try and use it more and more dishes to ingest its rare biochemicals, which is very good for your hair.
- Clarified butter or ghee for hair color and hair health – Ayurveda has claimed time and again that consuming ghee is good for health and also great for retaining the color of your hair and add vitality to your tresses.
- Use the right shampoo – Check out the ingredients of the shampoo before buying, if you manage to get hold of the correct shampoo you could maintain your hair and also keep your hair age under wraps. Use shampoos with selenium, salicylic acid, zinc, amla, shikakai and coal tar bits. Your hair will certainly thank you for it.
- Massage therapy – Whenever you are stressed massage your scalp with coconut oil, sesame oil, or mustard oil and relax and aid circulation. Stress is one factor which causes hair to turn gray. This is one of the most potent home remedies for black hair.
- Another concoction – Place several pieces of dried ribbed gourd in an airtight container. Add one or two cups of coconut oil to it. Let this mixture sit for a few days. Boil it at medium heat till the gourd gets liquefied completely. Cool it and then apply it on your hair and you would see a marked difference after a few weeks.
- Maintenance pack – Soak henna powder and amla powder in tea liqueur for the night. Next morning add brahmi powder, bhringaraj powder, curd one egg and lemon juice. Apply it on the scalp and let it stay for an hour. This maintains your hair color and imparts a luminous shine. Use it twice a month for best results.
Exercises, to Retain the Color of Your Hair
To lead a healthy and stress-free life one must incorporate exercises to the daily regime, and yoga tops the list, as it is an effective tool to lose weight, and surprise! Also, to maintain your luscious locks! So what are the exercises you must include to flaunt long and beautiful tresses.
- Vajrasana/Diamond pose – It is the simplest pose to boost circulation in your scalp, it enhances the health and speeds up the growth. It prevents scalp infection. It improves our digestion and hence improves hair color and quality. Sit on the floor with legs folded and heel touching your butt. Put your hands on your lap. Try stretching it to one minute.
- Bhujangasana or cobra pose – It is great for the digestive system and circulation, so it is great for maintaining the dark tint of your hair. Lie on your stomach and lift your head ala’ the snake. Support your hands on the floor, and breathe
- Sasangasana or the rabbit pose -It is great for obtaining black lustrous hair and improve blood circulation to the hair. Sit in the child’s pose and lower your head and the top of the head should touch the floor and your Breathe and hold for four to eight breaths. It is terrific to retain natural hair color at home.
Recipes to make your hair radiate with health
You are what you eat, haven’t you heard that a million times already? But there is no way you can ignore this adage! Start with this healthy recipe and with time watch your hair, put to shame even the raven’s wing.
1. Zesty Avocado with Kale
Good fats are essential for healthy hair. Combine them with the king of antioxidants kale, and you have a recipe good not only for your hair but for your health as well.
- 6 tbsp. olive oil
- 1/3 cup raw pumpkin seeds
- 1 cup lightly packed cilantro
- 1-pint cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1 head of kale
- 1 large red onion, diced
- 4 lemons, juiced and the zest took out
- 3 tbsp. red wine vinegar
- 1 garlic clove, smashed and finely chopped
- 2 avocadoes
Directions: If using fresh, untested pumpkin seeds, roast them by heating 2 tablespoons of the oil in a skillet over medium heat. Add the seeds and cook until you the nutty aroma wafts out from the kitchen for about 2 to 3 minutes.
In a large bowl, blend the kale, cilantro, tomatoes, and onions. In a small bowl, whisk together the lemon zest, juice, vinegar, garlic, and the residual 4 tablespoons of oil. Add the vinaigrette to the kale mixture and toss to combine.
Divide the avocados, pit, and peel. Place 1 avocado half on each of 4 plates and top each serving with some of the kale salad. Give it a nice seasoning with salt and pepper.
2. Chickpea Curry
Chickpeas are chock full of proteins and other nutrients and what’s more, it is very hair-friendly as well.
- 1 tsp. grape seed oil
- 1/4 cup coarsely chopped onion
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/2 cup canned chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 1/2 cup coarsely chopped cauliflower florets
- 1/4 cup baby carrots, cut into rounds
- 1 tbsp. dried currants or raisins
- 1/4 tsp. ground cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp. curry powder
- 1/8 tsp. ground turmeric
- 1 tbsp. light unsweetened coconut milk
- 2 tbsp. Fat-free plain Greek yoghurt
Directions: Heat the oil in a small saucepan over medium heat for about 1 minute. Add the onion and cook for about 1 minute, or until it is suitably softened. Reduce to low heat. Add the water, chickpeas, cauliflower, carrots, currants, cinnamon, curry powder, turmeric and coconut milk. Stir to combine. Cover and simmer, stirring occasionally, 8 to 10 minutes, or until the cauliflower is soft and the liquid is mostly absorbed. You can season it with salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste. Serve topped with yoghurt and garnish with additional cinnamon if desired.
3. Kidney Bean Stew Peas
Eat more protein for your hair health. Those are oft repeated words. This recipe is protein rich, and hence great for your hair.
- 2 cups kidney beans
- 1 whole scotch bonnet pepper
- 1/4 cup water
- 2 cups coconut milk
- 10 pimento grains (allspice)
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 2 scallions, chopped
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 3 sprigs thyme
- 1/2 tsp. black pepper
- 1 tsp. natural sea salt
- 2 red potatoes, cubed
- 1 sweet potato (batata), cubed
- 3 carrots, sliced
Directions: Soak the peas in water for at least 10 to 12 hours in a pot. Place coconut milk, scallions, pimento grains, garlic, and whole pepper in the pot. Slowly boil and simmer for 1 1/2 hours or until the peas are tender. You can season it by adding the onions, crushed garlic, and thyme. Add carrots and potatoes. Let simmer for 30 minutes. Remove hot pepper before serving. Serve hot with jasmine rice or quinoa.
4. Green smoothie
You should keep your gut health in optimal condition to keep your hair healthy and maintain its colour. This smoothie is going to keep your gut healthy and in prime condition.
- 1/3 small cucumber
- 2 ribs celery
- 1 cup trimmed kale
- 1 cup baby spinach
- 3 sprigs parsley
- 1 lemon wedge, juice
- 1/4 green apple
Directions: Place ingredients in blender and blend until smooth. Enjoy.
5. Protein Smoothie
This recipe is full of vitamin B6, iron, calcium, potassium, magnesium and fiber, the very nutrients for luxuriant hair growth and a shining mane!
- 1 1/2 cup almond milk
- 2 scoops protein powder
- 2 tbsp. flax seeds
- 1/2 avocado
- 3 pitted dates
- 1 lime, juiced
- 2 tsp. chopped ginger
Directions: In a blender, process all ingredients until smooth. It will make about 2 cups.
Pranayama for a Healthy Tint
Pranayama is a great way of relaxing the body and eliminate the stress which affects your health negatively. This helps in distancing yourself from the chaotic world around and relaxes you from within.
This is a great practice to relax and rejuvenate weary souls. An effective stress buster helping you to recuperate and give a fresh lease of life , this on the hand increases blood circulation and helps in growth of hair and retain it’s natural color.
- Seated comfortably on a yoga mat in padmasanaor vajrasana. Keep your hands on your knees. Breathe normally and feel relaxed.
- Inhale deeply through your nostrils with full force till your lungs are filled with air.
- Exhale forcefully through nostrils, making a hissing sound till you have breathed out all the air emptying your lungs.
- Remember that in Bhastrika Pranayama, your abdomen should not contract. Use your chest.
- Repeat for another 10-15 times.
This is a Pranayama where you need to distance yourself from the immediate circumstances and focus on the breathing. This is a great exercise to keep your tresses dark and healthy.
- Sit on a yoga mat or a soft blanket. Breathe and straighten your spine. Relax.
- Breathe in deeply, filling your lungs with enough air.
- With both the thumbs, close your ears.
- Close your eyes and using the middle fingers, press your eyes lightly.
- Press either sides of your forehead with the index fingers.
- With the remaining fingers, press the sides of the bridge of your nose.
- Exhale through your nose making a humming sound while chanting OM mentally. Inhaling will happen automatically.
- Perform this exercise either 11 or 21 times according to your comfort levels.
Ustrasana (Camel Pose)
An effective exercise to take care of your hair issues, you will get glossy thick hair if you do this exercise regularly.
- Kneel down on the ground, keeping your knees at least 6 inches apart.
- Use both your hands to reach backwards and grab the right ankle with your right hand, and left ankle with your left hand while trying to look upwards towards the ceiling.
- Keeping your thighs straight, try and push your abdomen in forward motion.
- Try and hold this position for a few breaths at least, release your hands and return to the starting position.
- If you are suffering from hypertension, migraine or any back and neck injury, you should give this asana a miss.
Halasana (Plough Pose)
It’s a difficult exercise to master, but once you start doing this you will feel your hair health will definitely improve for the better.
- Lie down on the floor with your back flat and place your hands by your side, palms resting on the ground.
- Get into a comfortable position. Slowly lift your legs, keeping them at a right angle to the floor.
- Bend it backwards over your head slowly without jerking your movements and keep your feet straight so that your toes are touching the ground beyond your head, then press your chin against your throat.
- To retain this posture for long, support your back with your elbows on the ground.
- Breathe normally as long as you are able to hold this posture, return to your original position and repeat again.
Trikonasana (Triangle Pose)
It is a great exercise to get the blood circulation going, and keep your shiny and healthy hair.
- Stand with your legs about 3-4 feet apart. Now raise both your hands, keeping your hands in a straight alignment with your shoulders.
- Bend towards the right side, and touch the toes of your right leg with the fingers of your right hand.
- Raise the left hand towards the ceiling and look up towards your left hand.
- Hold the position for a minute or so. Repeat the same with the left side.
A lifestyle change can not only benefit your hair but your entire body. Don’t let a frenetic lifestyle take a heavy toll on you. Take up a holistic approach to looking good and feel great. Both of them are inextricably linked to one another. There are many hair care tips to follow, and beauty regimes but if you don’t fuel your body with food and strengthen it with exercise you won’t get the desired results. The combination of all these would help to get your much-desired mane of thick crowning glory, one that you could flaunt with pleasure.