Dry/Cracked feet is one of the horrible nightmares to many people nowadays. However, it continues in all seasons causing pain and irritation whenever you put your feet on the ground. It is a sign of lack of attention to foot care that usually leads to cracked heels. They usually appear for those who have dry skin and thick callus feet around the rim of the heel. They do not cause much harm unless and until they tend to be so deep into the skin and cause bleeding. The skin on your feet is usually dry when compared to other parts of the body. The skin on your feet has no oil glands it takes several thousands of sweat glands to keep it moisturized always. So, the one who fails to moisturize their feet often is more prone to this discomfort.
The cracked heels worsens the situation in the case of diabetes patients, especially in aged persons. Treating them under such conditions are not completely successful most of the times. Sometimes the deficiency of zinc and omega- 3 fatty acids can lead to cracked heels. Sebum production and skin losing enough moisture will lead to cracked feet in elder people.
Causes of Cracked Heels:
- Standing for long hours and exposure of feet to open environment can be the reasons for cracked feet.
- Over exposure of your feet to water, excessively hot showers or baths.
- Less humidity in the surrounding environments.
- Being overweight can be one of the causes as it causes excess pressure on the feet pad leading to cracked heels
- Psoriasis, eczema and other skin related diseases are some of the causes.
- Wearing footwear that causes discomfort or back open footwear may also lead to cracked heels.
Symptoms of Cracked Heels:
Symptoms of the cracked heels include itchy, rough and flaky skin, redness, and fissures in the feet, cracks to the extent where you even experience bleeding from cracks. The condition worsens during summer and winter climatic conditions.
You can control the harmful effects that affected your feet and can still dream of soft and silky feet by saving your fortune. Here are some quick homemade exfoliating scrubs that help you prevent your feet from cracked feet and protect you from other skin diseases and rashes.
Scrub To Soften Your Feet:
This home made scrub is used to soften your feet with minimal effort. The ingredients used in this scrub are mostly available in our day to day life.
- Brown sugar- 2tbsp
- Lemon juice- 1tsp
- Honey- 1tbsp
- Olive oil- 1tbsp
- Bath tub half filled with warm (not hot) water
- Take a bowl and mix well all the ingredients just mentioned above one by one until it forms a thick, sticky, smooth paste and set it aside.
- Now, soak your feet in warm water for about 10 to 15 minutes so that your feet are freed from minute dust particles and are clean and smooth.
- With feet still in tub, slather the exfoliating agent over the foot and gently scrub your foot moving your hands in circular motions.
- Repeat the same to other foot.
- After this rinse off your feet in the tub to get a smooth and silky feet.
This scrub nourishes the dry skin and removes the dead skin cells under your feet.
Exfoliating Foot Scrub:
This exfoliating foot scrub revitalizes and softens the rough feet. Follow the steps carefully to gain soft and silky feet.
- Milk- 1 cup
- Warm water- 5 cups
- Sugar/ salt- 4 tbsp
- Baby oil/ coconut oil- ½ cup
- Pumice stone
- Stridex pad
- Salicylic acid cream/ thick moisturizer
- Drop 1 cup of milk and 5 cups of warm water in a bath tub and soak your feet for about 5- 10 minutes.
- Now, in a bowl take ½ cup of baby/ coconut oil and add sugar/ salt to it and mix well. Vegetable oil can also be replaced with other oils.
- After forming a thick paste massage this over your feet in circular motions and later scrub your feet with pumice stone
- Rinse off well and pat it dry.
- Before you go to bed, rub your feet with stridex pad which exfoliated your foot skin as it has 2% salicylic acid in it.
- After this, apply a thick moisturizer (probably a petroleum jelly) or a salicylic cream on the bottoms of your feet.
- Now, pull on socks and rest your feet for about 4 hours.
This foot scrub helps you to remove dead skin cells accumulated on your foot skin throughout the day
Banana Pulp Foot Mask
Banana is a great moisturizer and trying out a foot scrub using a banana would fetch you maximum result.
- Banana- 1
- Luke warm water- as per required
- Take a banana and mash it with a fork and apply the pulp to your feet.
- Wait for 15 minutes and wash it off with lukewarm water.
- You can also add pulp of half avocado to the banana (as an alternative).
This scrub is simple yet functions great when applied to your feet. Banana pulp works as a good moisturizer and leaves your feet with much softer and smoother skin.
This foot moisturizer helps you in smoothening the dry and achy feet. Applying this daily would help you to get rid of cracked heels as early as possible.
- Petroleum jelly- 1tbsp
- Lime juice- 2- 3 drops
- Lukewarm water- ½ tub
- Cotton socks
- Make your own foot moisturizer by mixing 1 tablespoon of petroleum jelly with lime juice.
- Before applying this, soak your feet in lukewarm water for about 10 minutes and pat it dry.
- Now, apply the mixture by gently massaging your feet and cover your feet with cotton socks.
Next day, in the morning your feet will feel softer and by regular application of this scrub you get rid of cracked feet early.
- Olive oil- 1tbsp
- Lemon/ lavender oil- 2- 3 drops
- Take 1 tablespoon of olive oil and add 2 to 3 drops of lemon/ lavender oil to it.
- Shake the ingredients until they form a thick, milky solution to apply.
- Apply this to your feet anytime when needed.
This cream moisturizes your feet as you can apply it at anytime in a day and don’t forget to shake the cream before each use.
These homemade foot scrubs and moisturizing creams heals your from cracked feet without any side effects and also you need not spend money on expensive spa agents. Giving attention to your feet once in a while is necessary to get rid of cracked heels.
Diet to Get Rid of Cracked Heels:
As you don’t know exactly the trigger factor that caused cracked feet maintaining proper dietary approach is also required. Some of the nutritional deficiencies also lead to cracked heels. Intake of foods rich in vitamin A, E, calcium, iron, zinc, and omega- 3 fatty acid assists the healing process. Carrots, cereals, vegetable oils, whole grain bread, nuts, milk, yogurt, chicken, fish, beans, brown rice, and flaxseed oil are some of the good sources for these nutrients. Consuming plenty of water keeps your skin hydrated.
Try out these formulae and following the necessary diet tips would help you resolve your foot problems soon. You can share your opinions and queries via the comments section.