What are skin tags? They are basically loose collagen fibers and blood vessels surrounded by skin. Collagen is actually a type of protein which is found all over the body. Both men and women can suffer from skin tags, especially those who are obese or suffer from type 2 diabetes. Pregnant women have a tendency to get skin tags as they suffer from fluctuating hormone levels. But sometimes, there isn’t any underlying cause to developing skin tags.
Skin tags are usually found in skin folds, where skin rubs against itself, such as on the neck, the groin area, and the armpits. That is why most overweight people suffer from it as they have excessive folds of skin, and cannot find the right solution for the removal of skin tags.
Why Should You Think of Removing Skin Tags
- Skin tags are not something which should worry you as they are harmless and do not usually cause any sort of pain or distress.
- But if they are bothering you, snag on your clothing or start bleeding, then a cosmetic procedure should be the answer.
- You certainly need to think of an option, especially if they have been there for a long time. Although, in some cases they tend to fall off on their own if they get twisted and die without a blood supply.
How to Remove Skin Tags?
Skin tags are also known as papillomas; they are benign growths on the surface of the skin surface, which can be found on the neck, chest, face, nose, armpits and inner thighs. Since they pose cosmetic problems for both men and women, steps should be taken to remove them. Here are a few very effective home remedies which can help get rid of skin tags easily without having to resort to expensive medicines and treatments.
1. Oregano oil
It contains thymol, p-cymene and carvacrol, three potent components have very effective antibacterial properties. This oil is also antigenomic, anti-inflammatory, antispasmodic, antiseptic and anti-oxidative. It is so effective that it removes skin tags within a month.
- Blend a mixture of four to six drops of coconut oil and two to three drops of oregano oil and apply this directly to your skin tag about three times a day.
- This will eventually dry out the skin tag so that it will fall off on its own.
- Ensure that you always use a carrier oil to blend with the oregano oil so that it does not cause any irritation or redness to the area.
- Also, care must be taken that this mixture is not be used near your eyes.
This very essential herb is a wonderful natural medicine and a panacea for most diseases. It boasts antibacterial, antiviral, anti-fungal, and anti-inflammatory properties. The juice extracted from a crushed clove of garlic is effective in removing both warts and skin tags naturally within a very short time.
- This will reduce any chances of your skin getting irritation from this powerful anti-inflammatory tonic.
- Repeat the process consecutively for two nights and then give it a break for another two nights before trying the remedy again.
- Apply the juice at night just before you hit the snooze button, and cover it up with a bandage. Of course, you will need to wash the area because of its pungent odor.
- Take one clove of garlic and crush it, dip a cotton ball into the juice and soak it up.
3. Coconut Oil
Coconut oil has numerous benefits, and there is hardly any ailment which it cannot take care of. Coconut oil contains lauric acid, which is a powerful anti-microbial. It kills viruses, fungi, bacteria, protozoa, effortlessly dissolving their cellular walls.
- Start to rub coconut oil into your skin tags every night before you hit the bed. Within a very short time, say within a few weeks, your skin tags will have disappeared.
4. Apple cider vinegar
This is a real potent remedy which destroys skin tags effectively. The acidic properties of apple cider vinegar help get rid of skin tags.
- In a bowl, take two tablespoons of apple cider vinegar and dip a cotton ball into the solution.
- Apply it thoroughly onto the skin tag after having cleansed the area and completely patting it dry.
- Squeeze the apple cider soaked cotton wool over the skin tag and massage the area with the solution.
- Do this at least thrice a day till it has completely disappeared.
- It can cause mild stinging for a few minutes, but after some time the itching or stinging will be gone.
- Also, if you get all hot and bothered with the itching and the stinging, you can dilute the apple cider vinegar with water and you will be sorted.
5. Tea Tree Oil
Tea tree oil has been used for its medicinal properties for ages. It’s is an anti-inflammatory, anti-bacterial and antibiotic oil which treats almost all kinds of skin disorders.
- Here is what you need to do, dip a Q-tip into tea tree oil and apply it gently to the skin tag about three times a day, holding the tip in place for up to 10 minutes.
- The Q- the tip is mainly used to avoid touching the skin around the tag, so if you have sensitive skin you can even use diluted tea tree oil.
- If your skin is getting affected by the tea tree oil you can use coconut oil along with tea tree oil. But it may take slightly more time to heal.
6. Castor Oil
Besides the various uses of castor oil, it can also help remove skin tags. It can dissolve and eliminate skin growths with ease, without as much as leave a scar. This oil also helps keep your skin super healthy.
- Start by preparing a concoction of two parts of castor oil with one part baking soda.
- You can also add a few drops of either lemon oil or peppermint oil to the mixture.
- Apply this freshly made paste on the skin tag.
- Ensure that is well-covered and let it stay for the night. Next morning, just wash off the paste with warm water.
- This should be done at least twice a day for two weeks or until the tags disappear totally.
- Rubbing some castor oil directly on the skin tags can give great results.
7. Onion Juice
The acidic nature of onion juice works well to remove a skin tag.
- Cut an onion into tiny pieces.
- Add half teaspoon of salt to the mixture and let the mixture sit for the night in a closed container.
- The next morning, extract the juice from the salted onion and keep it aside.
- Just before you turn in for the night, apply the juice on the skin tag and keep it covered with a bandage.
- The next morning rinse it off with lukewarm water. Doing this consistently for a week will show great results.
8. Aloe vera
Aloe vera is certainly your go-to solution for every kind of ailment you can think of, especially for skin problems. It can very effectively be used to treat skin tags. Why is aloe vera so potent, you ask? It has a host of anti-inflammatory properties as well as antioxidant properties that work well to remove skin tags.
- Break a fresh aloe vera leaf, extract the gel and apply it on the skin tag.
- Remember to massage gently.
- Keep massaging till the gel is well absorbed. Keep doing it thrice daily for at least two weeks or until you see results.
The potent antioxidants in fenugreek seeds help remove dead skin cells, which include skin tags. Fenugreek’s powerful properties help get rid of skin tags.
- Take two or three teaspoons of fenugreek seeds and soak them in a glass of warm water overnight.
- In the morning, you need to strain the seeds and collect the water into another container.
- Drink this liquid first thing in the morning before you eat anything else.
- Put some of the liquid on the skin tag and also chew the fenugreek seeds.
- Follow it up every day till you get visible results.
10. Dandelion Juice
If you are wondering how to get rid of skin tags, then dandelion juice is just the right remedy for you. Though not many people will regard dandelion to be anything other than a weed, it actually has myriad benefits. Dandelions are particularly effective in removing skin tags largely because of their rich mineral and vitamin components. This breaks down the excess tissue and removes it effectively.
- Pull off a fresh dandelion from the ground.
- Extract the milky juice by squeezing out the root ever so gently.
- Apply the freshly extracted juice on the skin tag, three drops will be sufficient.
- The tags will be gone within four weeks of consistent application.
11. Vitamin E oil
This oil has potent antioxidant properties for the removal of skin tags. It also helps in skin regeneration.
- First, try to break open a vitamin E capsule and extract its pure oil.
- A thin layer of the oil must be applied on the skin tag.
- Cover the area with a bandage and let it stay for the night.
- Apply a fresh layer of the oil on the skin tag and cover it up with a fresh bandage.
- Keep doing it every day till the skin tag goes away.
12. Banana Peel
Banana peel also has strong antioxidant properties, which is why it is such an effective remedy for skin tags. The enzymes present in the banana peel dissolve the tags with great efficacy.
- Take a small piece of banana peel and then place the inside part of the peel right over the skin tag.
- Wrap the area with a bandage and let it stay for the night.
- Remove the peel the next morning and rinse it with water.
- You need to repeat it for a good few days before you get any results, or the skin tag falls off.
13. Fig stem juice
This is a widely-used remedy for skin problems because it helps maintain the alkaline-acid balance with ease.
- If you want to create the juice you need to find some fresh fig stems and blend them well with the juice.
- Apply this freshly extracted juice on the tags.
- Do this at least four times a day. The results will be pretty amazing as the skin tags will disappear within a span of four weeks.
14. Lemon juice
Lemon juice is a really potent antiseptic, and the citric acid content helps dry out the tags. This is done by decomposing the cells.
- Take one-half of a fresh lemon and dip a cotton ball into the juice.
- All you have to do is apply this juice directly to the skin tag and let it stay there for the night.
- This should be continuously applied at least three times a day till the skin tag disappears.
15. Pineapple juice
This is a rather a unique way to get rid of skin tags. Pineapple juice is great for your health and removes your skin tags too! All you need is fresh pineapple juice.
• Take a few pieces of pineapple and extract the juice.
• Dip a cotton ball and apply this juice onto your skin tags.
• Do this at least twice a day for a few weeks to see results.
How to get rid of skin tags? Well, you now have your answer! These home remedies are pretty simple to follow and also show quick results. But when it comes to home remedies, you need to be patient as they might take some time to show results. It is also true that they give results without any side-effects, because they’re simple, safe and skin-friendly. But if these remedies do not prove to be effective, it is best you seek the advice of your dermatologist for best results.