A head full of long and flowing hair is a dream of each and every woman, but this dream rarely comes true. A number of internal and external factors such as stress, poor eating habits, hormonal imbalances and disorders, diseases, hair dyes, styling products, drugs, genetic disorders and smoking lead to hair fall. There is a wide range of natural remedies for dandruff and hair fall, and yoga is considered one of the safest and most effective natural remedies that shows prompt results.
There are some basic yoga asanas, pranayamas and hand gestures that enhance blood circulation to the scalp, improve digestion as well as reduce stress and anxiety levels in the mind – some of the main causes of hair fall. These natural methods also improve oxygen consumption by the cells of the scalp and supply necessary nutrients to the scalp. When practiced for sufficient time, these yoga and pranayama techniques can promote hair growth.
Benefits of Yoga and Pranayama for Preventing Hair Loss
Yoga asanas and pranayama stimulate circulation of blood and oxygen to the scalp and, help rejuvenate dry and limp hair to promote hair growth.
- Forward bending yoga poses such as Adho Mukha Svanasana, Uttanasana, etc. increase blood and oxygen supply to the face and head, thereby stimulating the nerves of the scalp.
- These yoga poses also aids the body to switch from the sympathetic to the parasympathetic nervous system that helps to reduce stress that is one of the main causes of hair fall.
- Asanas such as Sarvangasana helps to regulate the functioning of the thyroid gland that also plays a pivotal role in hair growth.
- Relaxing yoga poses such as Vajrasana helps to relieve tension and anxiety from the body and improves digestion that is yet another cause of hair loss.
- Pranayama and breathing exercises help to oxygenate the body and scalp and which also helps in maintaining healthy hair.
- Balayam yoga is a simple nail rubbing exercises that help to revitalize the hair follicles that are connected to the nails.
10 Best Yoga Poses to Stop Hair Fall and Promote Hair Growth
Yoga is the best way to bring about harmony between the body and soul, and live a healthy life. But how do you stop hair loss with yoga? Well, certain yoga poses and pranayama breathing exercises can improve circulation throughout the body and promote healthy hair to prevent hair fall.
Adho Mukha Savasana
This one of the best yoga poses for hair growth, which promotes blood circulation in the head and the crown region which in turn nourishes the hair follicles. This asana is also one of the proven Indian home remedies for cold that has been done by sages for centuries.
Start on your hands and feet with your knees and hands touching the ground and hands kept perpendicular to the knees and shoulders. Now straighten your legs by pushing the hips out and stand on your toes. Push the floor with your palms and straighten your spine. Now, pull your hips down slowly and come back to the starting position.
This is yet another forward bending pose and by far the best yoga for getting a flat tummy. It promotes blood supply to the head and aids in preventing hair fall and to improve the quality, thickness and texture of hair.
Stand with your legs close. Take a deep breath, lift up your hands while you exhale and then bend forward and touch the floor with your hands. You can also hold your hands behind your heels if you can. Stay in this forward bending position for a few seconds while breathing normally and then stand back straight while taking a deep breath.
This is a simple and easy-to-do yoga for hair growth, that can be done by almost anyone. When you perform this asana, blood circulation in the scalp increases, and it enables the hair follicles to grow. This asana also helps relieve bloated abs, promotes digestion and aids in weight loss.
Kneel down on the floor with your spine kept straight and heels together. Put your hands on your thighs, palms facing down. Relax and take deep breaths for 1 minute and then stretch your legs forward.
This is one of the most functional yoga poses to prevent hair loss, which purifies the body and flushes out toxins from the system. It purifies the blood and improves the growth of hair by stimulating the hair follicles. It is also one of the most effective yoga exercises for back pain which helps relax the stressed muscles of the back and neck.
Lie on your back and pull your knees in towards your chest while exhaling. Move your legs up with the strength of your thighs rather than your arms to pull them up, hold this position for a few seconds. Now, inhale and let your legs move away from your chest. Let your breath direct your movement. Close your eyes and try to relax your mind throughout the exercise.
Yoga tips for hair growth are incomplete without the inclusion of Sarvangasana in the list. This particular asana helps to nourish the thyroid gland and helps in rushing the blood to your brain, which is a very good treatment for stopping hair fall. It is also one of the healing yoga exercises for neck pain.
Lie on your back, inhale deeply and raise your legs up till the toes are pointing towards the ceiling. Your body should rest on your shoulders and the back of your neck. Support your body with your hands that should be placed at the centre of your spine. Make sure your legs and spine are straight. Breathe deeply and direct your concentration towards your thyroid gland.
This is a beneficial yoga asana for hair growth, because in order to perform this asana you need to touch your crown to the ground, which helps the blood to flow to the head. Proper blood circulation to the scalp means healthy and strong hair.
Kneel down on the floor with your hips resting on your heels. Now, bend forward and touch the crown of your head on the floor and hold your heels with your hands. Hold this position for 5 breaths and come back to the starting position.
Ustrasana is considered one of the most effective natural hair growth remedies because it not only directs blood flow towards the scalp but also balances any abnormalities of the thyroid gland that also causes hair fall. When done on a daily basis it can work as good as any hair fall home remedy using natural ingredients.
Sit on your knees so that your body remains straight and the knees form a right angle. Now, arch your spine backwards and touch the heels of your feet with your hands. As you bend backwards move your face upwards and face the ceiling. Remain in this pose for a few seconds while berthing normally and slowly come back to the starting position.
The reproductive system is also indirectly related to hair growth. Because the feet are raised while performing this asana, it improves blood circulation in the pelvic area and aids in proper functioning of the reproductive organs.
Lie down on the floor with your arms resting on your sides. Now, stretch the legs and lift them up from the floor and simultaneously lift your head and torso up from the floor so that your body is balanced on your hips forming a V shape. Hold this posture for a minute and return to the starting position.
This is one of the most functional yoga asanas for preventing hair fall which also helps relieve gas and aids in digestion. It also helps empower the lower back and reduce fat from the abdomen and buttocks.
Lie worn facing upwards. Inhale deeply and move one leg up towards the chest with your hands holding the knee close to your chest. Exhale the air completely while holding this pose then relax and put your leg back to the starting position. Now, inhale again and repeat the same with the other leg. Repeat this asana few times on both sides.
Tips for hair growth almost always include Balayam yoga, and it was made famous all over the world by Baba Ramdev. It is very simple to perform and can be done at any time, even when you are sitting at your office.
You will just need to rub the fingernails of both hands together. Curl your fingers inwards so that the point towards your palm. Now, bring your hands together so that the nails of all the fingers are in contact with each other. Make sure each nail touches the corresponding nail in the other hand. Rub them vigorously for 5 minutes. Don’t use the thumbnails for this exercise.
3 Powerful Pranayama Techniques for Preventing Hair Fall
Stress is one of the major causes of hair loss, and the best way to relieve stress is through pranayama and meditation. Meditation and pranayama help to reduce the level of stress and anxiety and improves blood circulation throughout the body.
Kapalbhati is a powerful pranayama breathing exercise that helps the brain receive more oxygen so that it promotes the functions of the nervous system and removes toxins from the body. It also helps fight diabetes and obesity.
Sit in Padmasana or Lotus Pose with your legs folded. Now, throw out your breath forcefully and breathe in softly. Repeat this breathing technique for 5 minutes non-stop. Initially, it may be difficult to continue this breathing even for 1 minute, but with regular practice you will be able to continue it for 5 minutes.
This is another pranayama that helps remove excess bile, phlegm and wind from the body. It also purifies the blood and the nervous system. This in turn helps promote hair growth. It is also an amazing exercise to lose belly fat at home.
This is a forceful breathing exercise in which you sit in Vajrasana position and clench your fists and bring them beside your shoulder. Now forcefully breathe in as you push your hands upwards and breathe out as you lower them down.
Anulom Vilom is also called Naadi Shodhan Pranayama. It is a simple, alternate breathing technique that helps to keep the lungs healthy and fight the free radicals produced due to stress. It promotes proper circulation throughout the body and helps relieve cold and promotes the growth of healthy hair by nourishing the scalp. The constant regulated breathing also massages, tones and cleanses the entire nervous system, thereby making you feel relaxed.
Sit in the Padmasana or Lotus Pose and place the thumb of one hand on one nostril and fold the index finger. Keep the ring finger straight so that it can be used to close the other nostril. Now, inhale deeply through the open nostril, close it with the index finger, open the other nostril and exhale through it. This makes 1 cycle. To begin the next cycle inhale through the same nostril that you exhaled out of and repeat the breathing process.
Caution – Those suffering from High blood pressure, heart disease or hernia should not try it.
Important Tips for Healthy Hair
Other than doing these yoga asanas and pranayama techniques on a daily basis, you should also follow a few tips in order to promote hair growth and stop hair loss.
- Diet also plays a vital role in promoting healthy hair. You should always try to follow a balanced diet chart that includes fresh fruits, green leafy vegetables, pulses, cereals, sprouts, dairy products and proteins in order to provide the necessary nutrients to the hair follicles.
- Keeping your hair clean is also important. Wash your hair with neem water 2 to 3 times a week and massage your scalp with coconut oil in order to get rid of dandruff and fungi.
- Avoid using harsh chemicals, dyes, styling products and heated styling tools on your hair to prevent damage.
- Use conditioner after every shampoo or use a 2-in-1 shampoo and conditioner. A conditioner significantly improves the appearance of damaged hair by adding shine and strength to it and decreasing static electricity. It also offers some protection from the harsh UV rays.
- Choose a shampoo and conditioner specially formulated for your hair type. If you have colored your hair, then use a shampoo designed for color-treated hair.
- Wear a tight-fitting swim cap while swimming in order to protect your hair from the damaging effects of chlorine. You can also use a shampoo and deep conditioner after swimming to replace the lost moisture from the hair strands.
- Avoid shampoo and conditioners that contain silicone, sulfate and alcohols. Silicone coats your hair and makes it heavy, sulfate strips away the natural oil from your hair and alcohols also weight down your hair.
- Try not to brush your hair when it is wet. Brushing wet hair is the biggest cause of hair breakage.
- Shampoo and condition using cold water. Cold water helps to seal the moisture and shine in your hair strands by locking in the conditioning agents.
- Don’t wash your hair every day. Washing your hair on a daily basis dries it out and strips away the natural oils from the hair.
- Don’t wrap wet hair in a towel use an old T-shirt instead. The T-shirt is lightweight enough to soak the moisture but it doesn’t lead to the frizz that is caused by a terrycloth towel. Also, squeeze the excess water out of your hair instead of rubbing it dry. Rubbing makes the frizz worse and causes breakage.
- You can also take hair, nail and skin vitamins and supplements to promote healthy hair.
- Wash your hair as per the requirement. Oily scalp might call for frequent washing as often as once a day. Chemically treated hair may be dry so you don’t have to shampoo your hair frequently. As you get older, your scalp produces less oil, so you may not need to shampoo often. But if you white flakes in your hair then you are not shampooing enough. This can eventually lead to dandruff, scalp itching and other scalp diseases.
- Concentrate shampoo on the scalp and conditioner on the tips of the hair. Cleaning your scalp should be the main aim when you are shampooing your hair. It is best to concentrate on cleaning the scalp rather than the entire length of hair. Washing your hair frequently will only make it dull and coarse. Conditioners can make the hair look limp so it should be used only on the tips of the hair and not on the head or the entire length of the hair.
There are a wide range of cosmetic treatments and solutions for hair loss and promoting hair growth, but in most cases their treatments come with serious side effects. Therefore, it is best to rely on natural procedures such as yoga and pranayama for promoting healthy hair and skin that are time tested for results and don’t have any side effects.