Last Updated on
What is the hardest part of losing weight? For us, it is keeping a tab on calories. We are pretty clueless most of the time, as to what we should eat and exactly how much to eat. This is where weight loss shakes come in. They fulfill the exact requirement of calories and nutrients. So instead of racking your brains about your menu for the day, get your blender ready, this is how you can prepare your meals in a jiffy!
A meal in a jar, that’s what it is all about! Put in the right ingredients, and soon the whirring sound will ensure that your meal is on its way to your plate, sorry, jar! This plan works particularly well for all those who are working on some serious weight loss goals. We will tell you about the exact meal shakes, which will not only help you get back in shape but keep you healthy as well.
Why should you go for Weight Loss Shakes?
Aren’t we all enticed by marketing blurbs like “Lose weight but gain Health,” or “lose 10 kgs in a month”? Meal replacement shakes with their catchy packaging literally draw us towards them. But instead of falling to marketing gimmicks, we must make wise choices. Yes, sometimes these store bought shakes contain a whole lot of additives which we must avoid at any cost.
So what is the answer to this particular predicament? Make your own meal replacement shakes of course! What you make at home is fresh, preservatives-free and brimming with nutrients. Here’s the top reasons to consume these slimming shakes.
- When you are busy, this is the ideal replacement- Do you forget to have your meals on time, especially when you are at work typing furiously, not caring to look at the clock? It is only when your stomach protests with a growl that you realize, you forgot to have your lunch. That’s when you end up stuffing your face with anything available first. And most of the time that is anything but healthy. Meal preparation is the first step towards health and fitness.
So if you are too busy to sit down and eat a big lunch, you can have a shake, which is low in calories and pretty high on nutrients. It is easy to make and surprisingly keeps you full for hours.
- You are too bored of your regular meals- You eat healthy, and take care that you stick to the plan, but sometimes you get bored of eating and preparing the same old meals. This is when you can make your blender your go-to equipment. Just chuck in a few really healthy ingredients, and before you can say “blend”, your meal is ready! These shakes are also a lazy person’s boon, to stay healthy.
- You want to give your weight loss program a jump start- In this fast-paced instant-gratification world, we seek results really fast. Suppose you have a party to attend in a week’s time or are flying off to an exotic getaway in a fortnight, you need to really slim down to look great in everything you wear. Meal replacements shakes are a great way to reach your weight loss goals really quick. These can be employed for a short duration of time.
- When you are traveling- When you are traveling and aren’t happy with the food you are eating, and have to stick to a weight loss plan, you can try these shakes. If you have the means, you can churn them at your hotel room, or go to any good restaurant that has these shakes on their menu. Comb through the menu and you are sure to find this kind of weight loss shakes. This way you will be able to stick to the calorie requirement easily and won’t be forced to eat junk!
Weight Loss Shake Recipes
When you trying to look for a shake which will replace your meal, you have to be very careful in choosing the right ingredients, you need to ensure that your requirements are fulfilled with the right nutrients. Look for smoothies and shakes with at least 325 to 400 calories, with 15 to 25 grams of protein, 10 to 13 grams of fat, and at least 5 grams of fiber from a healthy source like fish oil, avocado, nuts, coconut oil, olive oil, or nuts and seeds. If you are eating healthy, there is no reason for you to eat bland foods, is there?
1. Almond Milk Shakes
This recipe delivers a neat punch of about 21 grams of protein, 43 grams of fat in every 8-ounce glass, along with 526 calories. Coconut is full of lauric acid and medium chain fatty acids. It has many health promoting benefits and is especially good for kids. Almond milk is fortified with vitamins and minerals and it is great for managing your weight, it also keeps your bones super healthy, and is especially great for your skin and hair. The good fats in the almond butter not only make the smoothie delicious but also keeps you satiated for hours together.
- ½ c almond milk
- ½ c coconut milk
- 2 Tbsp almond butter
- 1-2 Tbsp honey
- 1 Tbsp cocoa powder
- 1 Tbsp Vega or whey protein powder
- Blend all of the above and serve.
2. Peanut Butter Power Shake
The combination of Greek yogurt and peanut butter deliver a neat 25 grams of protein, 6 grams of fiber, along with 8.5 grams of fat, in every 370-calorie serving of this. It should suffice for your breakfast.
- 1 medium banana
- ½ c of fat-free plain Greek yogurt
- 1 c of fat-free milk
- 1 Tbsp. cocoa powder
- 1 Tbsp. of natural peanut butter
- 6 ice cubes
- Blend all of the above and serve. Makes 1 serving.
3. Blueberry Smoothie
If you’re looking for a potent meal-replacement shake, this can be the perfect choice. This one’s filled with protein from the creamy almond butter and an abundance of antioxidants from the frozen blueberries. With over 18 grams of protein and a generous dose of fiber, it will keep you away from thoughts of food and hunger pangs for quite some time. This should definitely be a part of your best shakes diet.
- 1 banana, peeled
- 1 cup frozen blueberries
- 1/2 cup almond butter
- 1/2 cup plain yogurt
- 3/4 cup almond milk
- 3 dates, pitted and quartered
- 1 cup ice, or as needed
Combine all the ingredients in a blender; purée on high speed until you get a smooth consistency. Add a few ice cubes and blend well. Serve fresh.
4. Chocolate Shake
Raw cacao is very unlike the chocolates available in your neighbourhood supermarket. Why is it different? Chiefly because it’s packed with the most powerful antioxidants, and its fiber content is also very high. You won’t miss out on the sweet quotient too, as it is spiked with honey. So it is sweet, tasty and healthy, now what not to like about this one?
- 1 tablespoon of raw honey
- 1 medium banana
- 2 tablespoons of raw peanut butter
- 1 1/2 tablespoons of raw cacao powder
- 1/2 cup almond milk, either homemade or store bought
- Microwave the raw honey for 5-10 seconds to make it runnier.
- Blend honey, banana, peanut butter, cacao and almond milk in a blender until it takes a smooth consistency.
5. Oat Shake
Oats are full of fiber, so they make a very healthy addition to any weight loss shake. Apart from that, the frozen peaches, almond milk ripe banana and the Greek yogurt deliver a satiating breakfast really quick. The banana adds that much needed nutritional punch with its plethora of nutrients. Also, the protein content of this shake is really high; when you have more protein; you are full for longer hours.
- 1 1/2 cups of peeled and diced, frozen peaches
- 1 cup almond coconut milk blend or pure almond milk
- 1 (5.3 oz.) Greek yogurt – mango, peach, strawberry or coconut
- 1 ripe banana, peeled and frozen
- 1/2 cup oats
- 1/2 cup of cold water
- Combine all the ingredients in a blender and blend until well pureed. Serve immediately.
6. Ginger Shake
This makes for an ideal meal replacement or a wonderful snack post workout. The combination of yogurt and nut butter is a delicious one but its nutritional properties are pretty impressive as well. Probiotics aid in digestion, and its rich calcium content ensures that your bones stay healthy and strong. The spices helps in fat-burn, so all in all, it’s a power packed shake for you to love and enjoy.
- 7 oz. or 2% Greek yogurt
- 1 c ice cubes
- ¼ c of frozen sliced banana
- 2 Tbsp. of almond butter
- 1 Tbsp. of molasses
- 1 tsp. of grated ginger
- ¼ tsp. of cinnamon
- ⅛ tsp. each of nutmeg and cardamom
- Blend all of the above and serve. Makes 1 serving.
7. Avocado Shake
Half an avocado makes it a really worthy meal replacement. Filled with heart-healthy monounsaturated fatty acids, it is full of fiber, just about everything you need to call a food healthy. The addition of the spinach and banana makes it an antioxidant and fiber rich shake. The peanut butter proves to be the icing on the cake, giving it a delicious taste.
- Makes 2 servings
- 1 avocado, pitted
- 1 cup fresh spinach
- 1 large ripe banana
- 1 tablespoon natural peanut butter
- 1 cup milk
- Handful of ice cubes
- Blend all ingredients in a blender on high speed until very smooth.
8. Banana and Avocado Shake
Avocado and hemp seeds make this shake a protein enriched one. If you are short on energy, give this shake recipe a try! The raw cacao nibs and wheatgrass content of the shake packs in magnesium, which is a chemical element that provides you with an incredible amount of energy for the day, so this is a great recipe for the athletes.
- Makes 1 serving
- ½ a banana, chopped and frozen
- ¼ part of a ripe avocado, pitted
- 1 small handful of spinach
- 1 handful of frozen berries
- 1 1/2 teaspoons of shelled hemp seeds
- 1/4 teaspoon of wheatgrass powder
- 1/4 cucumber, chopped
- 1 tablespoon of raw cacao nibs
- Scant 1 cup of coconut water or water, add more extra if needed
- Chop the banana and place it in a freezer bag. Seal it and keep it in the fridge overnight until it is solid. Put the banana in a blender with the remaining ingredients. Blend well until smooth and creamy, adding a little more water to loosen the consistency.
9. Orange Juice and Peanut Butter Shake
Nut butters are a delicious way of adding protein and fiber to your shake. It ensures that you have a dessert in a glass; yes, it is that delicious! Orange is a potent fruit which boosts your immunity, aids in weight loss and protects you from a number of chronic diseases like cancer. It is rich in anti-inflammatory properties. This is what makes it one of the most essential diet loss shakes.
- 12 ounces of orange juice
- 2 scoops whey protein isolates.
- 2 spoons- Natural peanut butter
- 6- Ice cubes.
- Take fresh orange juice. Add the whey protein isolate; finally add the finely sliced banana and peanut butter to it. Put the ice cubes in and blend everything together in a blender for 1 minute till your shake is ready.
10. High Protein Shake
It looks sinful and tastes divine, what with the fat-free cottage cheese, cookies, skim milk, vanilla and a little bit of Stevia, combined to create a delicious concoction. It is full of natural sugar, so your sweet tooth will be satisfied. This is an ideal choice when you want something sweet and do not know what to have without sabotaging your diet. Have it on those weekends when you want to indulge really badly!
- 250 grams of fat-free cottage cheese (choose low-sodium)
- 1 cup of skim milk
- 3 Oreo cookies
- 1 teaspoon stevia
- 1 teaspoon of vanilla extract
- Blend the cottage cheese really well. Combine the rest of the ingredients in the blender. Add more milk so that you get a thin texture. If you keep it in the fridge, it will get thicker. Serve it chilled and you will get your delicious dessert served in a glass.
Now that you have got your diet shakes in order, here is your chance to start your weight loss regime with enthusiasm and verve. All these shakes for weight loss taste divine, so you needn’t think you will miss out on taste in your quest to stay healthy. Remember, shakes are part of a well-balanced diet, and not the entire diet. Here is to a new and a much healthier you!