Last Updated on
Obsessed with losing weight? Tell me who isn’t! Every second person would tell you they want to change their body. Losing weight isn’t impossible, as many people think it is. It does take a lot of dedication and a little bit of hard work. Well, actually it takes immense dedication and a whole lot of hard work. However, here is a secret diet plan to slim down your body and cut down your weight in just 7 days! This is the best vegetarian diet to lose weight. Are you wondering why this diet is any different? When you have tried almost everything possible in the world and haven’t got the best results. This vegetarian diet to lose weight will help you lose weight very quickly. It is also called as the GM Diet plan.
The Vegetarian diet plan for weight loss is not just to lose weight, but it is also a maintenance method for a slim and proportionate body. Along with these, it will help you practice eating vegetables and fruits which will help to boost up the metabolic rate. Vegetarian diets and weight loss go hand it hand (1). It is the healthiest and the fastest way to shed pounds. This vegetarian diet program has become famous around the world. Every one is addicted to it, it actually works!
GM Diet Plan Content Index
- How Does the GM Diet Plan Work?
- GM Diet: The scientific explanation
- Advantages Of GM Diet Plan
- Alternate Vegetables that Can be Consumed on Days 2, 3, 6 and 7 of the 7 Days Diet Chart
- Sample Diet Chart for all 7 Days of the GM Diet with Timings
- Exercises to do while on The GM Diet Plan
- Few Alternate Food Recipes of GM Diet
- GM Diet Soup Recipes
- A Few Points to Consider Before you Start with the GM Diet Plan
- The Foods that are a Strict No-No
- Alternate Fruits that can be consumed on Day 1, 2 and 3 of the General Motors 7 Days Diet Chart
- Frequently Asked Questions in the Indian GM Weight Loss Diet
How Does the GM Diet Plan Work?
Most people are skeptical about the fruitfulness of this diet plan. Is it really all that effective? And can you really lose oodles of weight, just by sticking to a GM Diet Chart for one week? To answer that question, we must first understand how the GM Diet works.
- Detoxification- The GM diet is the best way to detoxify your body. For that one week, you keep away from eating unhealthy foods like fat, processed proteins, and unhealthy carbohydrate; at least, during the first few days of the week. This is an effective way of getting rid of the accumulated toxins in the body.
The fact that dieters have to drink up to 2 liters of water each day is a great way to help digestion and wash away the toxins. If you detoxify your body regularly, it will help in faster digestion and regular elimination of toxins in the form of urination and bowel movements, which lead to eventual weight loss.
- Fosters digestion- The best way to ensure fast digestion is by consuming high fiber foods like fruits and vegetables, which are low in Since the GM Diet is all about consuming a humongous amount of fruits and vegetables, it aids in digestion, as the foods are easily assimilated by the body.
Foods need an adequate amount of water to dissolve into nutrients. The digestion process is much easier with regular water intake. The water intake aids in the assimilation of nutrients and also utilizes the reserved energies for boosting for metabolism though this weight loss diet.
- Easing bowel movement- One of the chief reasons why people are overweight is that they are unable to get rid of the wastes trapped in the body. We eat unhealthy low- fiber foods which remain in our body, causing unmitigated harm.
But the GM weight loss diet ensures we eat a lot of high fiber foods and water to flush away the toxins in a regular manner (2). Bowel problems, for instance constipation, can thus be easily avoided by the help of The GM Diet.
GM Diet: The scientific explanation
Is this Vegetarian GM Diet backed by science? It’s a question most of us ask ourselves. The fiber filled diet ensures that you keep your hunger pangs at bay, for a longer period. Vegetables and fruits are chock-a-block with all kinds of essential vitamins and minerals, and meet the nutritional requirements of the body.
The diet is rich in complex carbohydrates like brown rice, which is high in essential nutrients like magnesium, potassium, calcium and fiber, while still having a paltry amount of fat.
In the GM diet, you can only have chicken, which is low in fat. What the right amount of protein does is that it increases the metabolic rate and burns fat (3).
Another thing that works for the diet is that you do not have to limit the amount of food you eat, just the kind of foods you eat. That works fine for most of us, as we do not have to feel deprived. It is only when we feel deprived that we go on a binging spree. Also, having frequent small meals and increasing water intake boosts metabolism and aids in fat loss.
It is not what you will call a science- based weight loss diet. But then again, very few science-based diets have enjoyed the unprecedented success that the GM Diet has.
Advantages Of GM Diet Plan:
This 7 day vegetarian diet plan was developed for the well being of General Motors Inc. employees. That is the reason it is called the GM Diet Plan. The aim of the program is to gain a healthy body. You can expect the following things by practicing this Diet Plan regime:
- Lose around 5 to 8 kilograms in 7 days
- Natural glow to skin
- Elimination of toxins will make you feel light and energetic
- Reduces the flab around the tummy and waist
All these in just 7 days! It is a miracle diet plan! At the beginning it may sounds a bit impossible to follow it, but just 7 days of dedication will bring you a healthy body. If you successfully complete these 7 days, you will definitely love the results. You would never want to break the diet regime, because you know the worth of it. Just to make sure that you are healthy enough to practice this diet, consult your doctor before you begin.
The GM Diet Vegetarian Plan:
This Diet Plan includes the intake of fruits, vegetables and starch. To prepare yourself for the vegetarian GM diet plan, you need to avoid alcohol for a few days. Especially in the time of the diet schedule and before it. This is a very important tip you need to follow. Alcohol increases the uric acid in the body, which leads to water retention. This blocks the natural detoxifying process from taking place (4).
It is also very essential that you drink up to 10 glasses of water everyday. As you will not be consuming the same amount of carbohydrates which you normally do. Water will be your main source of energy for the whole day. It will also boost your metabolism and remove the unwanted pounds from the body, naturally. In case you have already tried this diet plan, it is better to take a break for 2 to 3 days before you resume the diet again. This will help the body to adjust to the new method of nutritional intake, which will also relieve your body from any kind of anxiety. Here is what you have to do for the 7 days of your Diet Plan.
- How to Start Day 1 of GM Diet:
Being the first day, it is always the hardest. Try to keep yourself away from all kinds of cravings as you will be consuming only fruits. You can consume all the fruits, excluding grapes, bananas, litchi and mangoes. You can have them in any quantity you like. It is suggested that you consume more watermelon, lime, oranges, apples, pomegranates, strawberries and melons. You can eat 20 times a day, but you should eat only fruits.
This is the way of preparing your body for the upcoming days. The only source of nutrition is from the fruits, they provide you will all that you need for your body (5). If you prefer to cut them up and eat, its great but make sure you aren’t adding anything else to it. Its just a ‘pure fruit for me’ day! If you can limit your fruit intake to only melons, your have a good chance of losing 3 pounds on your first day.
- How to Start Day 2 of GM Diet:
Like the first day, the second day is ‘All veggies day’. You can eat nothing but vegetables and only vegetables. You can eat to your heart’s content, feel your stomach filled up with vegetables if you need to. Boiled or raw vegetables will do. You can even begin your day with a boiled potato and a tea spoon of butter. This is done in order to give the body enough energy and carbohydrates for the day. But after that only raw and boiled vegetables.
Only one potato this day is enough, don’t consume more than that. Adding a pinch of oregano or basil seasoning to make the vegetables more edible is perfect. Day 2 is a calorie free day with a good amount of fibre and nutrients. If you make it through day two, you are definitely dedicated!
- How to Start Day 3 of GM Diet:
Day 3 is a combination of day 1 and 2. You can eat the mentioned fruits and vegetables. Eat any quantity and any amount you like and drink lots of water as directed. You need to avoid potatoes on day 3 as you are getting enough carbohydrates supply from the fruits. Your system is all set to burn the excess pounds. Your cravings may try to dominate, but think about the weight loss and the great results. You will feel light and happy by this time.
- How to Start Day 4 of GM Diet:
Everything has its perfect time, if you believe in this saying then your right. Remember how you were told not to eat bananas on the first three days? Well on the 4th day of the vegetarian diet for losing weight, you have the liberty to eat up to 6 bananas for the whole day. You can drink up to 4 glasses of milk. You must have heard that bananas help in weight gain, however in this diet, they act as a source of potassium and sodium for the body. Since the intake of salt is reduced, bananas will do the job.
You can also have one cup of a highly diluted soup for a meal. The soup should consist of capsicum, onions, garlic and tomatoes. It is a tasty and healthy recipe which will help in the weight loss process. You can drink it only 1 time a day, it is only to refresh your taste buds from all the vegetable and fruit intake. Be careful to resist yourself. You are just 3 days away from a losing weight!
- How to Start Day 5 of GM Diet:
Day 5 is a festival day for you, as you can have a tasty meal. You can munch on tomatoes, sprouts and cottage cheese, also known as paneer in India. You can also add soya chunks to you meal. Make a tasty soup with the mentioned ingredients and drink it. Make sure to increase your water intake on day 5.
You can eat up to 6 tomatoes and increase the water intake with 1/4 of the daily consumption. This is done in order to cleanse your body from uric acid. The tomatoes are for the fibre and digestion process. The water will purify your body from all kinds of toxins.
- How to Start Day 6 of GM Diet:
Day 6 is a little different to day 5. You will be eating sprouts, cottage cheese and other vegetables but by excluding tomatoes. No tomatoes on day 6, avoid them. The tasty soup and lots of water should help you through your day. Vegetables will provide vitamins and fibre to your body. You will already notice change in your body by this time. Continue consuming a good amount of water everyday.
- How to Start Day 7 of GM Diet:
The last and final day of the diet plan. This is the most important day. You will be feeling light on your toes and happy inside out. You can have fresh fruit juice, one cup of brown rice or half chapathi and other vegetables you would want to eat. You can complete your day with the consumption of water.
- No fruit juices allowed in the first 6 days. Try to increase water intake to 15 glasses by the fifth day
- Completely avoid tea coffee or alcohol. You can replace these with black tea, black coffee and lime water (all these are without sugar)
- A 45 minute work out on alternative days will help you get the best results.
- In case this weight loss program you are under taking is for a particular occasion, try it 2 months before hand with 2 to 3 days gap after every 7 days.
- Vegetables can be taken in salad form or eaten as a whole. You can dress it with squeezed lemon, herbs, garlic or even white or wine vinegar. Nothing else should be added to this.
- The soup recipe given can be consumed in unlimited quantities. It will be a pleasure to eat while you are following this diet regime. In case you do not like the ingredients, you can add other vegetables like cauliflower, corn, peas, asparagus, cabbage and others. try to stay away from all type of beans (kidney, lima, pinto etc) they are said to be high in calories.
Your complete vegetarian diet plan is ready for you. Now what? You lose 5 to 8 kilograms for that week and gain it back the next? This easy vegetarian diet plan to lose weight was not made to help you gain weight right? It is definitely hard to stick to this vigorous diet plan all your life. All you need to do after this diet plan is to maintain yourself. You don’t have to live on this food forever. So here are a few things you should be doing, to maintain a healthy and happy life.
- You need to be focused on improving your diet habits. All the nutrients should be in moderation.
- Exercise regularly to maintain your body.
- Have a balanced diet with a daily dose of minerals, fibre, vitamins, proteins, carbohydrates, fat etc.
The GM diet has become the most popular diet which is practiced by Indians. This is mainly because of vegetarian attributes. Just 7 days of dedication and hard work will make you shed lots of weight. This weight loss diet is extremely effective and has satisfied many Indians.. Don’t wait any longer! Take up this 7 day challenge and say hello to a better lifestyle and a better body. It is a great regime for you to follow. Watch what you eat, control your food cravings and you will be a happier and slimmer person next week!
Alternate Vegetables that Can be Consumed on Days 2, 3, 6 and 7 of the 7 Days Diet Chart
- Potato (Only for day 2 Breakfast) – Starch present in cold boiled potato converts into resistant starch that promotes fat oxidation and reduces abdominal fat
- Cucumber – This is one of the best low-calorie and non-starchy vegetable for weight loss. ½ cup of sliced cucumber contains only 10 calories
- Lettuce – One of the healthiest leafy greens that is low in calories and high in vitamins and fibers
- Cabbage – High in vitamin C and antioxidants, cabbage helps to boost immune power
- Broccoli – Phytonutrient Sulforaphane found in broccoli fights off body fat. This low calorie vegetable is a great source of fiber and calcium
- Bell Pepper – Metabolism boosting compound dihydrocapsiate present in bell peppers promotes fat burning
- Onions – The flavonoid quercetin found in onions activate protein in the body, burns stored fat and prevents formation of new fat cells
- Spinach – This leafy green vegetable is loaded with protein that promotes lean muscle mass and promotes calorie burn
- Carrots – Carrots are loaded with beta-carotene and fiber and it can be enjoyed raw with salads
- Cauliflower – This cruciferous vegetable is loaded with fibers, folate and vitamin C
Sample Diet Chart for all 7 Days of the GM Diet with Timings:
- Day 1 of GM Diet Plan Chart:
- Breakfast (8.30 AM) – 1 medium sized apple, 1 glass of water
- Mid-Morning Snack (10.30 AM) – 1 bowl of cantaloupes, 1 glass of water
- Lunch (12.00 Noon)- 2 big slices of watermelon, 2 glasses of water
- Afternoon Snack (4.00 PM) – 1 orange, 1 glass of water
- Evening Snack (6.30 PM) – 1 pear, 1 glass of water
- Dinner (8.00 PM) – 1 guava, 1/2 grapefruit, 2 glasses of water
- Day 2 of GM Diet Plan Chart:
- Breakfast (8.30 AM) – 1 medium-sized boiled potato topped with 1 teaspoon of butter
- Mid-Morning Snack (10.30 AM) – 1 bowl of cabbage and lettuce mix, 1 glass of water
- Lunch (12.00 Noon)- 1 cucumber, 1 onion, 1/2 carrot, 2 glasses of water
- Afternoon Snack (4.00 PM) — 1 cup boiled broccoli, 1/2 cup sliced bell pepper, 2 glosses of water
- Evening Snack (6.30 PM) – 1 cup boiled cauliflower, 1 glass of water
- Dinner (8.00 PM) – Mixed boiled carrot, beet, broccoli and green beans, 2 glasses of water
- Day 3 of GM Diet Plan Chart:
- Breakfast (8.30 AM) – 1 bowl of cantaloupe or 1 apple, 2 glasses of water
- Mid-Morning Snack (10.30 AM) – 1 pear, 1 cup sliced pineapples, 2 glasses of water
- Lunch (12.00 Noon) – 1 bowl of mixed cucumber, onions, carrots, lettuce, 2 glasses of water
- Afternoon Snack (4.00 PM) – 1 orange or 1/2 grapefruit and 1 glass of water
- Evening Snack (6.30 PM) – 1 pear or 1 guava
- Dinner (8.00 PM) – 1 bowl of boiled broccoli, 1/2 boiled beet, 1/2 cup boiled raw papaya, 2 glasses of water
- Day 4 of GM Diet Plan Chart:
- Breakfast (8.30 AM) – 2 bananas, 1 glass of milk
- Mid-Morning Snack (10.30 AM) – Banana shake made with 1 banana and 1 glass f milk
- Lunch (12.00 Noon) – 1 bowl of vegetable soup made with cabbage, carrots and onions
- Afternoon Snack (4.00 PM) – Banana shake made with 1 banana and 1 glass of milk
- Dinner (8.00 PM) – 2 bananas and 1 glass of milk
- Drink 8 to 10 glasses of water throughout the day
- Day 5 of GM Diet Plan Chart:
- Breakfast (8.30 AM) – 2 tomatoes, a bowl of boiled red kidney beans seasoned with salt, pepper and lemon, 2 glasses of water
- Mid-Morning Snack (10.30 AM) – a cup of tofu or curd, 2 glasses of water
- Lunch (12.00 Noon) – a bowl of cooked Brown Rice, 2 tomatoes, palak paneer (Spinach and Paneer), 2 glasses of water
- Afternoon Snack (4.30 PM) -sprouts salad with onions, lemon juice, pepper and a pinch of salt, 2 glasses of water
- Dinner (8.00 PM) -Light Curry made from Soy Chunks/ Vegetable Soup, Cucumber and tomato salad made from 1 cucumber and 2 tomatoes, 2 glasses of water
- Day 1 of GM Diet Plan Chart:
If you eat non-vegetarian food then you can have the following foods:
- 2 egg whites for breakfast
- 3 to 4 ounces of boiled chicken or baked fish for lunch
- Day 6 of GM Diet Plan Chart:
- Breakfast (8.30 AM) – 1 bowl of mixed boiled or sauted vegetables, 2 glasses of water
- Mid-Morning Snack(10.30 AM) – 1/2 medium sized bowl of boiled kidney beans with 1 tomato diced seasoned with pinch of salt and other spices, 2 glasses of water
- Lunch (12.00 Noon) – 1 cup of cooked brown rice 1 medium sized bowl of vegetable soup, 2 glasses of water
- Afternoon Snack (4.00 PM) – 1 apple, 1 glass of water
- Evening Snack (6.30 PM) – 1 small bowl of boiled or sprouted lentils seasoned with pinch of salt and lemon juice, 1 glass of water
- Dinner (8.00 PM) – 1 bowl of mixed boiled vegetables, 1 glass of water
If you eat non-vegetarian food then you can have the following foods:
- 2 egg whites for breakfast
- 3 to 4 ounces of boiled chicken or baked fish for lunch
- Day 7 of GM Diet Plan Chart:
- Breakfast (8.30 AM) – 1 bowl of melon or cantaloupes, 1 glass of water
- Mid-Morning Snack (10.30 AM) – Handful of fresh or frozen berries or 1 cup carrot sticks, 1 glass of water
- Lunch (12.00 Noon) – 1 cup of cooked brown rice, 1 bowl of lightly sauted vegetables, 2 glasses of water
- Afternoon Snack (4.00 PM) – 1 apple or 1 pear, 1 glass of water
- Evening Snack (6.30 PM) – 1 Guava, 1 glass of water
- Dinner (8.00 PM) – 1 bowl of mixed vegetable soup, 2 glasses of water
If you eat non-vegetarian food then you can have the following foods:
- 2 egg whites for breakfast
- 3 to 4 ounces of boiled chicken or baked fish for lunch
Exercises to do while on The GM Diet Plan
Most people are scared to follow a strict exercise regime while following a weight loss diet. They are bothered by the fact, that they might not be strong enough to do the exercises. But if you are smart enough, you can follow an exercise regime which won’t be very taxing and will enhance your weight loss efforts.
- GM Diet Plan Day 1 Exercises
- A thirty minutes’ walk
- Follow it up with twenty squats and a thirty -second
- GM Diet Plan Day 2 Exercises
- Start with ten Surya namaskars.
- Do Virabhadrasana four times.
- Do Leg rise ten times.
- Rotate your waist, ten times clockwise, ten times anticlockwise.
- End it with stretching exercises
- GM Diet Plan Day 3 Exercises
- Do standing front kicks, 10 times each side.
- Do trunk twisting thirty times.
- Do the classic Pilates move- the hundred, seated twists, rolling like a ball, single leg circles, criss-cross, and mermaid move. Do each of them at least ten times.
- Finish it with Surya Namaskars five times.
- Do not forget to stretch.
- GM Diet Plan Day 4 Exercises
- Do arm rotations, leg rotations, waist rotations all ten times each side.
- Do quick feet 100 times.
- Do planks for thirty seconds, follow it up with twenty squats, repeat this step four times (plank followed by squats). This can act as a beginner level Tabata.
- Do a few stretching exercises.
- GM Diet Plan Day 5 Exercises
- GM Diet Plan Day 1 Exercises
Go for a brisk walk, or walk fast for two minutes and then walk slowly for another one minute. Do this for 40 minutes. This acts as interval training and is great for weight loss.
- Do warm ups
- Do 15 jump squats
- Do 10 knee push-ups.
- Do 10 lunges on each side.
- Do 15 V sit ups.
- Follow it up with stretching exercises.
- GM Diet Plan Day 6 Exercises
- Do jump rope 50 times.
- Do squat 40 times.
- Do planks for 1 minute.
Repeat this procedure three times, or if you feel weak you can do it two times.
- GM Diet Plan Day 7 Exercises
- Do Suryanamaskar 15 times.
- Do the bow pose 4 times.
- Do the cobra pose 4
- Do the dolphin plank 4 times.
- Do stretching exercises.
- Do pranayama- Kapalbhati, Anulom Vilom, and Bhramari, 10 circles each.
Few Alternate Food Recipes of GM Diet
The vegetable soup is the staple food o the GM diet chart for weight loss that can be consumed on all days of the diet except for day 1. There are a few other recipes such as baked fish and chicken that are included in the non-vegetarian version if the GM diet. Here, we have presented all the important recipes of the seven days diet chart in one place for your convenience.
- Soup Recipe
Soups are undoubtedly the healthiest of all foods which is low in calories, oil free and enriched with the nutrition vegetables and spices. Check out this easy and simple mixed vegetable soup recipe that you can prepare on all days of the GM diet. It is one of the best diet soup recipes that can also be included in other weight loss diets.
- 2 carrots
- 1 bell pepper
- 1/4th cabbage
- 3 to 4 mushrooms
- 2 to 3 cauliflower florets
- 1 onion
- 4 green beans
- Enough water to submerge all vegetables/ Chicken stock
Wash peel and chop all the vegetables. Add all the vegetables into a pressure cooked and pour enough water so that all the vegetables are submerged, sprinkle some salt. If you are non-vegetarian then you can use chicken stock instead of water. Put on the lead and cook till 1 whistle. Switch off the stove and let the steam escape on its own. Now, open the lid, pout the soup in a bowl, sprinkle a pinch of black pepper and lemon juice on it and enjoy.
- Sprouts Recipe
Lentils and beans are an amazing vegetarian source of protein and fiber and sprouts are the healthiest forms of enjoying them. The health benefits of bean sprouts need no new emphasis. In this recipe we have explained how to make sprouts and prepare a tasty and healthy sprout salad.
Method of Sprouting
Take the amount of beans or lentils you want to sprout and keep it in a bowl, wash it thoroughly 3 to 4 times and transfer it to a dry bowl. Pour some water over the beans/lentils and let it soak overnight, discard the excess water the next morning and transfer the swelled beans/lentils into a clean muslin cloth. Tie the corners of the cloth together ant the center and keep it aside for 10 hours. After 10 hours open the muslin cloth and you will notice the sprouts coming out. So, now that we know the exact method of sprouting let us check out how to make sprouts salad.
- 1 cup of sprouts of your choice
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped onions
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped tomatoes
- 1 green chilli finely chopped
- Few mint and coriander leaves chopped
- Pinch of salt
- Lemon juice
Put all the ingredients except salt, mint and coriander leaves and lemon juice in a glass ball and mix thoroughly, sprinkle the salt and coriander and mint leave from top; drizzle the lemon juice and mix it once again.
- Palak Paneer Recipe
You can include spinach in your soup as well as palak paneer in order to enjoy a low-calorie healthy and tasty food with the brown rice. But in order to include it in the GM diet routine, it is necessary to make the palak paneer oil free.
- Spinach 1 to 2 cups
- Paneer or Cottage cheese – 200 grams cubed
- Onions – 1 medium
- Garlic – 2 cloves crushed
- Ginger – 1/2 inch
- Shahjeera 1/4th teaspoon
- Garam masala – 1 teaspoon
- Red chilli powder – 1 teaspoon
- Cumin Powder – 1 teaspoon
- Coriander Powder – 1 teaspoon
- Salt to taste
- Turmeric – 1/4th teaspoon
Clean the spinach and blanch it in boiling water for 3 minutes and then put it in a bowl full of ice-cold water for 5 minutes. Drain the leaves and keep aside. In a dry pan add 1 teaspoon of olive oil and sauté the onions, ginger and garlic. Pour the onion mixture and spinach leaves in a grinder and grind them to from a fine paste. Now, in a non-stick pan toss the paneer cubes till they turn slightly brown. Again brush some oil on the non-stick pan, add the onion and spinach mixture, dry masala powders, shahjeera, salt and simmer for a few minutes, add the sautéed paneer cubes, simmer for few minutes and enjoy hot with brown rice.
- Boiled Chicken Recipe
What better way to load up on high quality proteins on days 5, 6 and 7 of the diet than with delicious and light boiled chicken? This is one of the simplest boiled chicken recipes for all those non-vegetarian weight watchers who have craved the tasted of meat for the first four days of the 7 Days GM diet.
- 3 to 4 lb. chicken
- 1 large onion chopped
- 1 tablespoon of whole peppercorn
- 2 garlic cloves diced
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 teaspoon of dried parsley flakes
- 2 teaspoon of salt
Wash the chicken toughly with water and place it in a large pot with lid. Add enough water so that it completely covers the chicken; add all the other ingredients into the water, put on the lead and start boiling. Set the lid at an angle so that the steam can escape from the pot. Reduce the heat and continue to boil for 1 to 1 hour 30 minutes. Add more water if needed. Remove the chicken form the pot once the meat starts coming apart from the bones. Enjoy the boiled chicken on days 5, 6 and 7 of the diet, strain and stock the broth in the fridge which can be used to prepare the mixed vegetable soup.
- Baked Fish Recipe
Fish is another amazing source of high quality proteins, healthy fats and omega 3 fatty acids that is a good potion for those who don’t like eating chicken on all the last 3 days of the diet. This is one of the easiest recipes for baked fish that required very few ingredients and can be prepared in a jiffy.
- 3 to 4 fish fillets
- 1 tablespoon of olive oil
- 1 teaspoon of onion paste
- 1/4th teaspoon of black pepper powder
- 1 tablespoon of lemon juice
- 2 tablespoon of chopped coriander
Preheat the oven to 325 degrees F or 165 degrees C. In a small bowl add the onion paste, black pepper powder, lemon juice and chopped coriander. Dip all the filets in this mixture and arrange on a baking tray coated with olive oil. Bake for 20 minutes in the oven or till the fish flakes easily.
GM Diet Soup Recipes
The GM Diet is not an easy diet to follow, especially since you have to do away with carbohydrates to a large extent. So to keep yourself satiated, you can rustle up a few delicious soup dishes.
- Delicious Vegetable Soup
This fiber-rich vegetable soup has minimal calories, yet is a nourishing recipe which will stave off those hunger pangs. This is one soup, which you can have even after you are done with the GM Diet plan.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil (or another cooking oil such as canola oil or sunflower oil)
- 1/2 large onion, finely chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 ribs celery, finely chopped
- 2 carrots, sliced
- 2 cups mixed chopped vegetables of your choice (try cauliflower, zucchini, or green beans)
- 1/2 teaspoon of sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon of garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon thyme
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1 bay leaf
- 8 cups of vegetable broth
- 1/ ½ tomato blanched and whipped in a blender.
Makes six servings
- Heat the oil in a large soup or stock pot. Add the chopped onion, minced garlic, the carrots, and the celery. Heat, and then keep on stirring for 3-4 minutes, until the onions are glassy. Add the rest of the vegetables and heat for just another minute or two.
- Add salt, garlic powder, thyme, and oregano, stir well to coat the vegetables well.
- Add the bay leaf, water or vegetable broth and bring to a simmer. Stir to make sure they dissolve.
- Add all the tomatoes, stir well and allow your vegetable soup to simmer until all the vegetables are cooked for about 8-12 minutes.
- Adjust the seasonings to taste.
- Remove the bay leaf before serving and serve your homemade vegetable soup hot!
- Rich Tomato Basil Soup
This cold tomato soup recipe is low-calorie, really low-fat, vegetarian and perfect for the vegetarian GM Diet. It really packs a nutrient punch, with plenty of Vitamin C and Vitamin A. So, when you are bored of your regular soups, make sure you try this nutritious soup.
- 2 pounds of tomatoes
- 1 bunch of fresh basil, chopped
- 2 cups of vegetable broth
- 2 cloves garlic
- 2 tbsp. of balsamic vinegar
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Place all ingredients in a food processor or a blender and blend until almost smooth, or when you get the desired consistency.
- Transfer to a large saucepan and simmer over low heat for 10 minutes.
- This quick and easy tomato soup can be served hot or cold, and makes 4 servings.
- Carrot Soup
This is another light and nourishing soup, full of vitamins and minerals. It’s just the perfect recipe to drive away your diet boredom, as it is spicy and can invigorate your taste buds in the best way possible. Carrots are also rich in beta-carotene, which is converted into vitamin A in the liver. Vitamin A is great for maintaining your vision. Bell peppers are full of beta-carotene, which lavishes you with antioxidant and anti-inflammatory benefits. The capsaicin in bell peppers also has a multitude of health benefits.
- 2 large red bell peppers plus slices for garnishing
- 2 Tbsp. of olive oil
- ½ tsp. of curry powder
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 large onion, sliced (2 cups)
- 2 large carrots, sliced (½ lb.)
- 4 cloves garlic, peeled and sliced
- 1 tsp. of salt
- 2 Tbsp. of lemon juice
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Place bell peppers on baking sheet, and roast for 1 hour, or until skin is blackened. Turn the peppers occasionally with tongs. Transfer them to a bowl, and cover with plastic wrap for 10 minutes to steam. When the peppers are cool enough to handle, rub off the blackened peel, and remove the seeds.
- Heat the oil in a 2-qt. saucepan over medium heat. Add the curry powder along with the bay leaf, and stir for 10 seconds. Add the onion, carrots, garlic, and salt. Cover it, and cook 10 minutes, or until the onions are glassy.
- Add 4 cups water, and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to medium-low and simmer covered, for 25 minutes.
- Transfer the carrot mixture to a blender; add the bell peppers and blend until smooth. Stir in lemon juice. Garnish the servings with bell pepper slices.
- You must try the GM Diet for weight loss, as it lasts only for for seven days, and yet helps you lose a mammoth number of kilos! This diet plan is also a great way of starting a weight loss regime. So what are you waiting for? Weight- loss is just sniffing distance away!
A Few Points to Consider Before you Start with the GM Diet Plan
The GM diet Plan has been met with unprecedented success. The fact that you can lose weight within the stipulated period of a week has struck a chord with most weight watchers. That you can lose weight by just following a diet for seven days is unthinkable for most people who have had a tough time shedding the extra kilos. But there are questions galore which bamboozle most people, especially regarding the kind of foods they are supposed to eat.
The Foods that are a Strict No-No
Since this diet is a rather radical one, it’s difficult for many to follow as it is tough for them to give up on their favorite foods. The most difficult part being the day 1 and 2 diet chart, when you have to stick to just fruits and vegetables respectively. We already know exactly what to eat though, or do we? It is best to clarify the foods which you have to strike off at least for that one week.
- No Sugar and salt in moderation- Refined stuff is a strict no-no, and when it comes to sugar, it is best if you stick to natural sweeteners, like raw honey or stevia. Steer clear of refined table salt and choose rock salt or the Himalayan pink salt. Common salt has fallen out of favor recently as it results in a depletion of important minerals from your body at the cellular level.
- Tea and coffee in moderation- Herbal teas are recommended,but too much of coffee is not something that we would advise. Also, stay away from alcohol.
- Substitute of milk- There are many people who are not too fond of milk, they can easily substitute milk with buttermilk and yogurt.
- No wheat or chapattis allowed in the diet- This diet is largely a gluten-free diet,so staying away from wheat and other processed forms of wheat should be the order of the diet!
- Stay away from processed food- As much as you can,stay away from processed food which is full of chemical additives. That includes fruit juice, soup and the so-called much-touted healthy stuff. Cooking home-cooked should be the norm. To get results, you have to cook healthy to eat healthily.
- A tight rein on dry fruits and nuts- Since calories are severely restricted in this diet, you will do yourself a favor if you stay away from dry Even though they are full of nutrition,their calorific value is also high. Plus, delicious as they are, you cannot just stick to a handful.
- Stay away from the wrong kind of fat- Fats have unduly got a lot of flak in the recent past. But recently,the importance of good fats has gained prominence. Eat good fats like coconut oil, MCT oil, ghee and so on. Fats help in transporting fat-soluble vitamins A, D, E and K through the bloodstream to where they are needed. They also raise good HDL cholesterol, lower bad LDL cholesterol, and protect against the buildup of plaque in your arteries. What’s more? They help prevent belly fat, according to research. Include good fats and definitely eliminate bad fats like vegetable oils, soybean oil and so on.
- Stick to a healthy lifestyle once you are done with the diet- Once the seven days are over, you need to maintain a quality lifestyle, by eating healthy and exercising regularly. Also, if you need to shed some more weight, give it a break for one week or two and then you can start this diet all over again.
- Allergic to bananas- Some people reach day 4 without much ado, but as soon as they reach day 4 of the diet plan, they find it difficult to eat just banana and milk. Bananas are very nutritious. They are full of fiber, potassium, and sodium, but if you want to skip bananas you can also have papayas. Apricots, figs, nectarines and dates can be a feeble substitute for bananas, but remember what we said about dry fruits, so stick to just eight a day.
Once you get results, you will be encouraged to try this diet a few more times. So if you want to shed those stubborn kilos, this diet is tailor-made for you. It might be a fast-paced diet and a little difficult to follow considering the radical changes you have to make to your diet, but it sure will help you reach your weight-loss goals within a very short time!
Alternate Fruits that can be consumed on Day 1, 2 and 3 of the General Motors 7 Days Diet Chart
- Watermelon – Just 30 calories per 100 grams serving and high in water content, this is the best fruit for promoting weight loss
- Cantaloupes – Cantaloupes are another fruit from the melon family that is low in calories, nutritionally dense and filling
- Guava – This is an amazing low glycemic index (GI) fruit that even diabetics can enjoy
- Apple – Only 50 calories are present in one medium sized apple along with zero fat and zero sodium
- Pear – This fruit is loaded with fiber that keeps you satiated for prolonged period of time
- Oranges – Citrus fruits are extremely beneficial for promoting fat burn. 100 grams of oranges contains only 47 calories and the sweet taste of the fruit helps in satisfying the sweet craving
- Grapefruit – This is a powerful fat fighter that promotes weight loss. There are just 37 calories in half a grapefruit. It also boosts up the metabolic rate of the body
- Berries – Berries are the highest in antioxidants and are especially useful fr fighting obesity and cholesterol. Blueberries are especially effective I fighting fat cells
- Kiwi – kiwi smoothie recipes are extremely popular for weight loss thanks to the presence of both soluble and insoluble fibers in this fruit. It keeps you satiated for long time without adding extra calories
- Pomegranates – This bright red fruit helps in lowering appetite and flushes out harmful toxins from the body
Frequently Asked Questions in the Indian GM Weight Loss Diet:
Commonly Asked Questions about the GM Diet
There must still be umpteen questions brimming in your mind about the GM Diet. We will try to answer all of them right here.
- Can I have tea or coffee while following the diet?
You can have green tea or any other herbal tea, but avoid coffee for these seven days. Also, make sure you avoid sugar and artificial sweeteners, only raw organic honey or stevia is okay, but in moderation.
- Can pregnant or lactating ladies follow the GM Diet Plan?
No, you cannot, this is a restrictive diet and not fit for pregnant and lactating mothers.
- Can I drink alcohol?
Alcohol is an absolute no-no in this diet plan. So skip it.
- Is the diet plan fit for diabetics?
No, the diet plan is not fit for diabetics, who need a particular nutritional plan to meet their dietary requirements. However, before starting any diet, it is best to consult your doctor.
- I do not like milk, can I take something else?
You can try yogurt and buttermilk, but of course, it should be without sugar.
- Can I have dry fruits on the first day?
No, since dry fruits are pretty dense in calories, it is difficult to stop at one handful. So abstain from having dry fruits for these seven days.
- Is the GM Diet fit for children?
No, the GM Diet is not fit for children under the age of 18, as they have particular dietary requirements.
- Who can follow the GM Diet?
It is for adults who want to lose weight fast and also need to detoxify their bodies. Also, if you suffer from any particular health condition, you need to consult your doctor before starting on this diet.
- How much weight can you lose with the GM Diet?
You can lose about 17 pounds in seven days if you stay true to the diet. But weight loss depends on a number of factors like genes, age, current weight, activity levels, metabolism levels, cooking method, medical history and so on.
- How many times can you follow the diet in a month?
You can follow the diet twice a month, not more than that.
- What cooking oil should be used during the GM Diet plan?
Since deep frying is out of the question, you can boil, blanch, sauté or grill your food. For drizzling, you can use olive oil, cold-pressed virgin coconut oil, rice bran oil, but all in moderation.
- Can we sprinkle salt on our foods?
Yes, you can sprinkle salt over your foods, but instead of refined salt, use rock salt, sea salt or the Himalayan pink salt for additional benefits.
- I do not like brown rice! What can I have as a substitute?
If you are averse to brown rice, try quinoa, millets, black rice, red rice or white rice as a substitute.
- I want to know a substitute for bananas?
Instead of a banana, you can have dates, nectarines, apricots and figs.
- When can I have the wonder soup?
You can have wonder soup anytime you feel like. It is a nutritious way to keep your hunger pangs away.
- Can I eat out while following the GM diet plan?
We would request you not to do so, but if you still have to, then stick with salads and fruits and also ask the restaurant to avoid using salad dressings on your foods. Condiments like mayonnaise must be strictly avoided.
- Can I do heavy duty exercises at the gym?
It is all up to you, if you feel you can handle it, then go ahead. However, we would advise not to indulge in strenuous exercises during these seven days.
- Can I do yoga when I’m on GM diet?
Yes, yoga is an excellent exercise regime to do during the GM Diet plan.
- What should I eat after the GM diet plan?
You should eat healthy balanced meals, eat every three hours, and drink at least 10-12 glasses of water. Also, try and control your carb intake, you can have unprocessed carbs that are full of nutrients and can keep you satiated for long hours. Reduce your food intake after 6 pm and finish your dinner three hours before you hit the snooze button.
- Can I have fruit juices?
No, usually packaged fruit juices are full of sugar, avoid them. We would also advise eating the whole fruit instead of juicing it at home, in case you’re thinking about it.
- Can I go for my early morning run?
Again, you can, but since this is a restricted diet, you might not feel strong enough to go for long runs. Try a brisk walk instead, and see how things go from there.
- I love spicy food, so can I add spices to my food while undergoing the GM Diet plan?
Spices are okay to consume as they have fat burning properties, especially spices like turmeric, pepper, cinnamon, cayenne pepper and so on.
- Can I have Chapattis during GM diet?
No, this is largely a gluten-free diet, so avoid gluten during those seven days.
- What can I have when I am hungry?
Try the wonder soup, it will drive away your hunger pangs and nourish your body as well.
- Can I have avocado on day 1 of this diet?
No, you cannot have avocados as they are full of fat. You can have them right after this diet, but not while you are following this program.
- Will GM diet reduce belly fat?
The GM diet enhances your body’s ability to burn fat. It helps reduce belly fat because many of the foods included in the diet, such as fruits and vegetables are very low in calories. This creates a calorie deficit and helps promote fat loss. Since the foods are high in water, it helps enhance the fat loss process and detoxify the body
- Does the GM diet work?
It works, depending upon your goal. If it is to lose a few kilos and look your best for an event it will work but such kind of diets are not sustainable. Also, you cannot continue with the diet for more than 7 days. You have to fall back upon the tried and tested formula of eating right and exercising after you round off the seven days of the GM diet.
- How many kilos can you lose with the GM diet?
The GM diet plan can help you lose a whopping 5 to 7 kgs in 7 days.
- Is GM diet harmful?
It is not harmful in that sense but any fad diet comes with a lot of cons. It is not sustainable and you may end up gaining the very weight you tried so hard to lose. Also, eliminating food groups isn’t considered healthy and you may feel weak by the time you finish the diet plan.
- Can we drink coffee during the GM diet?
You can drink coffee, provided you have it black minus any sweetener and milk.
- Are grapes allowed in GM diet?
Yes, you can have grapes on Day 1 of the GM Diet Plan.
- Can we eat egg in GM diet?
You can have eggs on day 5 and Day 6 of the GM Diet Plan.
- What can we eat in GM diet?
The diet recommends you consume fruits on day 1 that are high in water content such as melons and citrus fruits. Also, you must drink copious amounts of water at least 8-12 glasses in a day. You can munch on cucumbers on Day 1.
On day 2, you can cook zucchini, cauliflower, beets, carrots, cucumber, lettuce, bell peppers, onions, cabbage, potatoes, and cook it in a teaspoon of oil to cook them.
Day 3, you can have all the veggies, either cooked or uncooked except bananas and potatoes.
Day 4, you can have 8 bananas and up to four glasses of milk, of course, you will have to have loads of water throughout the day.
Day 5, you can have some grains such as brown rice. Add tomatoes to your diet along with other lean meat sources such as chicken, red meat, fish, cottage cheese, curd. You can have GM diet soup which includes cabbage, onions, tomatoes, green peppers, and celery and enhances the flavor with some salt, pepper, vinegar, lemon juice, and herbs.
Day 6, today you can add foods such as lean meat, brown rice, kidney beans, cooked or uncooked veggies, fish, Bengal gram, chicken, mushrooms, and lentils.
Day 7, you can consume fruit juices, brown rice, and vegetables.
- Is honey allowed in GM diet?
You cannot have honey on this diet as it contains calories and you don’t need those additional calories as it hampers your diet.
- Can we drink tea or coffee during the GM diet?
You can have black coffee and/or green tea.
- Can we eat a sweet potato in the GM diet?
You can have it on day 2 with a pat of butter.
- Can we eat corn in GM diet?
You have to cut down on corn while on the GM Diet Plan as this cuts back on the detoxification process.
- How can I follow the GM diet?
Follow, the GM diet and the steps mentioned below.
- Day 1
Eat all fruits on the first day. You can eat all the fruits except for bananas.
- Day 2
Eat all vegetables on the second day and a potato in the morning with a pat of butter or a teaspoon of oil.
- Day 3
Eat a mixture of fruits and vegetables of your choice on the third day. Avoid bananas and potatoes.
- Day 4
Eat only bananas and milk on the fourth day. Today you will eat as many as eight bananas and drink three glasses of milk. You can also have vegetable soup, on this day.
You can have one cup of rice. You can have six whole tomatoes and drink at least 10- 12 glasses of water today to cleanse your system.
- Day 6
Eat cooked or uncooked veggies and a cup of rice on this day.
- Day 7
Eat more vegetables on this day and your diet plan should include one cup of brown rice, fruit juice, and vegetable soup.
What to do after finishing GM diet?
If you want to avoid putting back the pounds you have lost then stick to a healthy eating plan. It is advisable to consume a low carb high protein diet to maintain your weight and enhance your weight loss efforts.
Note: After following the Indian GM Diet Plan, we suggest you to follow the 1200 calorie Indian Diet Plan to control your weight and eating habits. There are high chances that your weight might increase if you keep eating junk and processed foods.
Disclaimer: The Fit Indian is a health and fitness blog that provides information and support about healthy and reasonable diet programs, and the information are solely intended for educational support. All the information provided in this article is for educational purposes only, and any decision on the reader’s part to use this information is their personal choice. We are not a medical organization authorized to provide medical advice or diagnosis. Please seek the advice of a qualified physician before deciding to opt for any weight loss program of any kind and also if you feel any discomfort while following a diet. Short term and crash diets give only temporary results for quick weight loss which is soon gained back once the diet is over. We recommend a healthy combination of daily exercise and balanced diets like the 2000 calorie diet plan for healthy weight loss and its maintenance.