Last Updated on
We frequently hear about lavish and expensive facial mud masks and mud baths that are provided in high-end spas and salons, but most don’t know the history of mud masks and mud baths, which go back to ancient times where Egyptians and Indians used special types of clay to treat their skin. Application of natural mud masks is the best way to get clear skin naturally. Clay is a nourishing and healing organic ingredient that is rich in minerals, organic and inorganic substances, trace elements and biochemical components that are useful for skin. In addition, the natural detoxifying and absorbent action of clay helps in cleaning the skin from within and getting rid of waste, toxins and chemicals that get stored in the skin over time.
8 Different Types of Mud Masks for Gorgeous Skin
Here are 8 of the most popular mud masks that are used in spa treatments all around the world because of their wonderful detoxifying and rejuvenating properties.
Fuller’s Earth or ‘Multani Mitti’ Clay Mask
The list of natural mud masks must begin with Fuller’s Earth or Multani Mitti, which is widely used in the beauty industry as a common ingredient for herbal products for skin and hair care. The composition of Fuller’s Earth is primarily clay minerals (hydrous aluminium silicates) and montmorillonite, kaolinite and attapulgite.
Fuller’s Earth has been used in India for ages as a cleansing face pack and a dry shampoo. The amazing oil absorbing capacity of Fuller’s Earth makes it the ideal mud mask for oily skin prone to problems of acne, pimples, spots and blemishes. It also helps in soothing and cooling down the skin during the scorching summer heat.
Dead Sea Mud Mask
Dead Sea mud is famous all around the world for its unique composition and high concentration of salts and minerals like sodium, calcium, potassium, magnesium, boron, iron and strontium that makes it a wonderful source of the essential minerals for the entire body. The black mud found on the banks of the Dead Sea is actually mineral rich alluvial silt that has been washed through ages from the surrounding mountains and deposited on the sea shore.
Dead Sea mud is especially effective in removing dead skin cells, toxins and excess oil from the skin in order to reveal fresh and soft skin. The therapeutic effects of Dead Sea mud also stimulate blood circulation which in turn helps in improving skin tone and texture. It also helps in relieving stress and muscle tension. Dead Sea mud is also useful natural remedy for scalp psoriasis, eczema and hair loss. It reduces the appearance of cellulite and alleviates knee pain from Osteoarthritis.
French Clay Mud Mask
French clay is one of the most popularly use a variety of clay for mud masks in spas and salons. French mud has amazing benefits for all skin types. French mud clay mask comes in a wide range of varieties such as – French Green Clay, French Pink Clay, French Yellow Clay and French Red Clay. French clay soaks excess oil from the skin and improves blood circulation throughout the skin. The astringent properties of French clay also help in shrinking the open pores and smooth out the wrinkles and fine lines. Therefore, French clay mask can be sued as an effective anti-aging mud mask.
- French Green Clay – French green clay or Illite Clay is the most widely used French clay that has enormous absorbent properties thanks to the constitution of its micro molecules. The potent absorbent properties of this clay literally pull out oils, impurities and toxins from the skin and stimulate cell regeneration. It also helps in contracting the open pores, toning the skin and reducing skin inflammation caused by acne and pimples. French green clay can also be used as a full body treatment and an ideal face pack for dry skin. Illite clay is a biomineral that is made of both decomposed plant and trace minerals like aluminium, magnesium, calcium, silica, zinc, copper and phosphorus. French green clay is mined from the bedrock quarries in France, and it is absolutely untreated.
- French Pink Clay – French pink clay is created from a combination of red and white clay. It is the mildest of clays that can be used in facial mud mask for normal skin, sensitive skin and mature skin. Pink clay is especially beneficial for skin rejuvenation, improving skin elasticity and cell renewal so it can work as a natural cure for dark circles around eyes as well as soothing tired and puffy eyes. The high content of iron oxide and silica in this clay helps in bust firming and healing broken capillaries that cause spider veins and varicose veins. You can include your preference of herbs and essential oil to the mud pack to enhance its effectiveness. You should be while applying the pink clay because it may stain fabric.
- French Yellow Clay – French yellow clay gets its yellow colour due to the presence of iron oxide in it, but it does not contain aluminium. This is the smoothest of clays that make it the best clay that can be used even on the tender skin of kids. The gentle and deep healing action of the clay helps in healing skin conditions in babies such as eczema, dermatitis, psoriasis, nappy rash and cradle cap. The detoxifying action of this clay makes it a popular ingredient for detoxifying body wraps, natural mud mask, face and body scrub, hair pack and poultice. It is the ultimate solution to the problem of how to get rid of dead skin cells that leaves the skin fresh, smooth and radiant.
- French Red Clay – French red clay gets its red color due to the presence of copper oxide in the clay. French red clay is derived from Hematite iron. Red clay mud face mask is especially beneficial as a natural anti-aging treatment. The presence of iron oxide, essential trace elements, minerals and therapeutic salts in this clay draws out impurities and pollutants from the skin and provides a deep cleanse which softens, lightens and rejuvenates the skin. French red clay increases blood flow to the skin thereby enhancing the supply of oxygen and nutrients to the skin cells, revealing beautiful and naturally glowing skin.
Volcanic Mud Mask
Volcanic clay, also known as Bentonite Clay, occurs in volcanic ash sediments. Bentonite clay was first discovered in Montmorillon, France, and presently it is harvested in the US, Italy and France. Volcanic mud or Bentonite clay is composed of aged volcanic ash and plethora of minerals like silica, calcium, sodium, magnesium, iron and potassium along with organic nutrients useful for healthy skin.
Volcanic clay has the ability to absorb and remove toxins, impurities, heavy metals and chemicals from the skin making it a common component in cleansing products. Bentonite clay is edible clay that helps in relieving digestive disorders, skin allergies and detoxification. Volcanic mud contains all the essential minerals for the body and its healthy functioning.
Alpine Moor Mud Mask
Alpine mud comes from the deep Alpine forests where it has been enriched for thousands of years following the biochemical process of plants maturation. The dark brown coloured mud is composed of organic and inorganic substances, plant extracts, minerals, trace elements and biochemical components that are beneficial for the entire body. This mud is used in natural face mask for mature skin because it increases the strength of the collagen fibres present in the tissues.
Alpine mud mask is used in homemade facial for oily skin because it helps in removing excess oil from the skin while revitalizing and detoxifying it at the same time. The trace elements and minerals present in the mud activates cellular metabolism and leaves the epidermis toned and brightened. In addition, it also neutralizes the negative effects of pollution on the skin.
Black Mud Mask
This particular mud comes from the Canadian peat bogs and marshes where the surface is covered entirely by snow while thermal water runs underneath. The dark colored mud is composed of both organic and inorganic elements, plant extracts, minerals, trace elements and biochemical substances.
Natural black mud works as an astringent that reduces excessive sebum production and its absorption properties remove impurities and toxins from the skin. It also works as a cellular stimulant and anti-inflammatory agent that reduces inflammation and dark spots caused by acne and pimples. It is undoubtedly one of the best natural skin whiteners that brighten the complexion, rejuvenates tired skin, reduces hypersensitivity and purifies oily skin. The best thing is you won’t get an infection from this mud mask.
White Kaolin Clay Mask
White Kaolin Clay or White Cosmetic Clay is by far the most versatile and readily available clay that is used in cosmetics and regular skin care preparations. It is a smooth and fine clay that has amazing absorbency properties which makes it a common ingredient in body packs, facial powders, skin care products and deodorants. Being extremely mild and gentle, it is suitable for people with sensitive skin. This clay mask stimulates blood circulation in skin and gently exfoliates and cleanses it without drawing out natural oils from the skin, therefore, it can be sued for people with excessive dry skin without causing any negative effects.
Kaolin clay is often used in homemade acne treatments thanks to its detoxifying properties that removes toxins and impurities and replaces the lost minerals. It also enhances the complexion and skin tone naturally.
Rhassoul Clay Mask
Rhassoul clay is a superior-quality clay widely used in spa treatments for skin and hair. This reddish brown clay is extracted from the mines located deep in the Atlas Mountains of Morocco. This clay is moulded as a result of volcanic activity and geothermal processes. This clay contains minerals such as iron, sodium, magnesium, potassium and lithium along with trace elements that provide a delightful experience every time you apply the mud mask on your face and body.
Rhassoul clay is often used in homemade spa recipes to soften and exfoliate the skin by removing dead cells. It can also be used as a cleaner instead of soap as well as a facial scrub. Rhassoul clay can be used as a DIY natural hair conditioner to remove trace elements and impurities from the scalp and make hair voluminous and bouncy. Rhassoul clay is also used as a natural arthritis treatment because it has a warming effect on sore joints, and it also helps in reducing the inflammation of joints.
Step by Step Method of Using a Clay/Mud Mask for your Face
Relaxing and soothing mud masks are the best way to pamper your skin which helps in rejuvenating the skin by detoxifying and toning it. Facial mud mask not only enhances blood circulation in the skin but also removes excess oil, dirt, impurities, chemicals and toxins from the skin, thereby keeping the skin radiant and glowing. No doubt, famous Holly Wood and Bollywood celebs love to smear themselves with mud.
Preparing the Mud Mask
- Pour some distilled or filtered water into a glass bowl and sprinkle 2 to 3 tablespoons of the clay powder over the water and let it sink and wet gradually without stirring it.
- Once the uppermost layer of the clay begins to absorb the moisture, stir the contents of the bowl and add other ingredients such as herbs and essential oils to it.
- People with sensitive skin can also add a few drops of vegetable oil to the mixture.
- Apply the face mask on clean skin that has been moistened with water.
Opening the Pores
- It is important to open the clogged pores present in the skin so that the nutrients present in the clay can get absorbed into the skin more easily.
- Boil some water in a pan and bring your face near the boiling water so that the steam gets absorbed into your skin.
- Take the steam for 3 to 5 minutes but be careful not to burn your skin.
Application of the Mask
- Use a paintbrush or your clean fingers to apply the mud mask on your face.
- Spread the mask all over your face evenly.
- Make sure the entire face is covered in mud.
- Take 20 minutes out from your busy schedule and relax on the sofa or bed with your feet placed on the pillows.
Removing the Mask
- Use a clean washcloth drenched in warm water to clean your face.
- Spread the warm and damp washcloth over your face so that the mask absorbs the water.
- Gently wipe off the mud from your skin using the wash cloth rather than scrubbing it off harshly.
Skincare Post Clay Mask Treatment
- Use natural rose water or cold water as a toner to shrink the open pores.
- Massage your skin with soothing jojoba oil for 5 minutes.
Benefits of Using Natural Mud Mask
When it comes to skin care, there is nothing like natural mud masks that helps in supplying vital nutrients back into the skin, and being organic, they don’t cause any side effects.
- Skin Exfoliation – One of the biggest advantages of using mud masks is that they work as natural exfoliating agents. Once the mud pack is applied on the skin, it dries out naturally which has to be scrubbed off from the skin surface. This is a really effective method of exfoliating the skin and removing dead skin cells, impurities and dirt from the skin surface.
- Intense Moisturize – Most of us are not aware of the deep moisturizing property of mud makes. The nutrients present in the mud penetrate deep into the pores of the skin and moisturize it from within.
- Reducing Blemishes – Yet another benefit of using mud masks lies in its capacity to reduce blemishes and skin spots thanks to its astringent properties. Cooling and soothing properties of the mud help in reducing the redness, tenderness and pain caused by pimples and acne.
- Complete Skin Care – No need to apply an assortment of skin care products on your skin for addressing different issues when you have a versatile mud mask at hand. Clay and mud masks are a complete healthy skincare treatment that helps in detoxing the skin along with cleansing, toning and moisturizing. People with normal to dry skin can use facial mud mask 1 to 3 times a week while those with oily skin can use it as and when they want.
- Healthy Scalp Treatment – Mud masks are not only beneficial for your skin but your hair and scalp as well. Regular use of shampoo, conditioners and other styling products leads to building up of a wide range of products that stick to the scalp. This in turn prevents healthy hair growth and provides a dull texture to the hair. A nourishing mud pack helps in removing the chemical build ups from the scalp and stimulate circulation to the hair follicles for healthy hair growth. It also works as a potent home dandruff remedy.
- Healthy Hair Treatment – The nourishing clay and mud masks also work as a detox treatment or the hair. It helps in removing chemicals, toxins and pollution from the hair strands and strengthens the hair cuticles thereby repairing damaged hair, split ends and adds more volume and bounce to hair.
- Heal Aching Joints – The presence of a wide range of minerals in the mud masks makes them an amazing natural remedy to soothe joint pain causes by arthritis. Mud masks like Dead Sea mud mask are well known for its anti-inflammatory properties that also help to eliminate waste and toxins from the boy and increase circulation, thereby alleviating joint pain.
So, obtain the clay of your choice as per your skin type and requirements and provide a nourishing and pampering treatment to your skin with these luxurious mud masks.