You may not mind if you have a mole on your face (many people regard it as a beauty spot), but there are people who hate the sight of moles on their faces or any part of their bodies. What are moles, you ask? They are benign skin lesions, either brown or black, seen either alone or in clusters. Sometimes they are smooth and sometimes they are rough to touch. If you’re wondering what they exactly are or want to get rid of them, you’ve come to the right place!
How do Moles Form on the Skin?
Moles appear when melanocytes, a type of skin cell that gives us our unique pigment, start to grow in clusters. It is usually distributed uniformly all across our skin. They are distinguished by the fact that they are darker than the surrounding area. They are activated by hormonal changes which are a result of the following;
Teenage: Once a person reaches the teen years, there are an ample number of changes noticed on the body which are the results of overactive hormones. This is the time when moles affect us most.
Pregnancy: Women experience a lot of changes when they become pregnant. Though they might not have more moles on their bodies during this time, the moles which already exist may turn darker in color.
Middle Age: When people reach middle-age or around forty years of age, they might see a drop in the formation of moles.
Sunlight: Too much exposure to sunlight may trigger the formation of moles. One needs to be wary of these kind of moles, as they are more likely to turn into skin cancer, also known as melanoma.
Hereditary: Scientists also believe that genes play an important role in the formation of moles. You might have greater chances of being affected by moles if you have a family member with similar skin issues.
When do you need to be concerned?
Moles are not really something you need to be concerned about, as they sometimes disappear on their own. Your only cause for concern is when moles change in size, color or diameter. If you happen to notice such changes, you need to pay a visit to your dermatologist and rule out any abnormalities. You should not treat cancerous moles on your own.
Now, if the moles on your body are a cause of distress for purely aesthetic reasons, then seek out the following home remedies to get rid of moles. These are easy remedies without any side effects which may help to get rid of those harmless yet unsightly blemishes. Check out the top remedies for easy removal of moles.
1. Apple cider vinegar
Apple cider vinegar is indeed a panacea for most common ailments. It is a popular remedy and can help you get rid of moles in a jiffy. The acid component of the vinegar helps slough off the moles.
- Dip a cotton wool in a small bowl of apple cider vinegar and place it firmly on the mole with a bandage or a medical tape and let it stay for the night. You need to do this for at least 10 days or till you get any visible results.
- Another thing you can do is rub warm water on the mole or scour the surface with an emery board and then apply the apple cider vinegar on that area till it turns white. Leave it on until it dries naturally. Do this several times a day.
- The mole may turn worse in the first couple of days because of the apple cider vinegar. But it turns better in a week. The scar left behind by the mole may be lightened considerably with coconut oil.
- For the above remedies, you must choose raw, organic, unfiltered apple cider vinegar.
2. Baking soda and Castor oil
Many people have gotten great results after following this baking soda and castor oil remedy for a month. This works primarily because castor oil has the ability to disperse the pathological growth. The best part of this treatment is that it does not leave behind any unsightly scars.
- Take a teaspoon of baking soda and add about three or four drops of castor oil to it. Blend it properly to create a gummy texture.
- Apply it on the moles right before you go to bed. Shield the area with the help of adhesive bandages or medical tapes. The next morning peel it off right after you wake up. This will help you get rid of moles in a month’s time.
3. Pineapple juice
- Pineapple juice contains citric acid, which helps dissolve moles and sloughs it off within a few days.
- Take a cotton ball, dip it into pineapple juice and apply it on the mole.
- Leave it on your mole for at least four hours for the night.
- You need to repeat it every day till it goes away.
4. Onion juice
- Onion juice removes moles quite effectively largely because of its acidic properties.
- Extract fresh onion juice and dip a cotton wool in the liquid, apply it on the mole with the help of a cotton swab.
- Let it stay it on for 30 minutes or more and then rinse it off.
- Follow this remedy at least two or three times daily till you get results.
The application of iodine results in cell death, which is why it is particularly helpful to remove moles. As little as 5% solution of tincture iodine, available at any drugstore, should do the trick.
- First, you need to wash the area with lukewarm water and dry it out.
- Then take a piece of emery board and scour out the surface.
- Apply a small amount of petroleum jelly on the surrounding area. This is a great way of protecting it from pigmentation.
- Apply a drop of iodine directly on the mole.
- Shield the area with gauze and medical tapes.
- This can help get rid of the mole in a couple of weeks. Take care not to ingest iodine.
6. Aloe Vera
This is a great remedy as it is completely painless. But what works for this remedy is that it is a natural sunscreen and also a topical anti-bacterial solution great for almost all skin ailments.
- Rinse the affected area with some lukewarm water and pat it dry.
- Rip open an aloe vera leaf and take out the flesh.
- Take help of a Q-tip and extract the gel out and then apply it directly on the mole.
- Make sure you protect the area with the help of medical tapes and secure it for at least three hours.
- You need to do this at least two to three times every day to get rid of moles in about a month.
- If you are unable to procure fresh aloe, you can also get yourself organic aloe gel from the store.
Surprisingly, cashew nuts are also effective to get rid of moles. Their properties make them some of the best mole removal agents.
- Soak cashew nuts in water for the night and grind them in the morning to form a smooth paste.
- Apply this paste on the affected area and leave it for an hour.
- Continue to do this for a month and you will get amazing results.
This essential oil has been hailed by most cultures as a wonderful remedy for various ailments. It is particularly effective for moles because of its anti-bacterial and astringent qualities. There are several ways to use frankincense oil, one of them which we are about to discuss is a frankincense bath.
Get yourself the following ingredients to make a relaxing bath for yourself.
- One cup of baking soda
- One cup of sea salt
- 6 drops of lavender essential oil
- 3 drops of frankincense oil
Add all of the above-mentioned ingredients to a hot bath and soak yourself in the treated water for at least fifteen minutes every day.
9. Tea tree oil
Tea tree oil is a very potent oil, but some of you may be allergic to it. You can do a patch test on an unaffected part of your skin, to see how the skin reacts to the oil. If you feel that the skin experiences a persistent burning sensation, then you may be allergic to the oil and should not pursue this treatment. But if the sting goes away after a while, you can definitely go ahead with the treatment.
- Dip a Q-tip into a bottle of tea tree oil and brush it gently against the mole.
- Protect the area with an adhesive bandage for an hour.
- You have to repeat these two steps at least twice every day for a month to get any visible results. What you can do is apply it on the mole right before you hit the snooze button. Be careful not to ingest the same.
10. Flaxseed oil, Ground Flaxseeds and Honey
Flaxseed oil shows miraculous results in doing away with moles. It loosens the mole slowly, and gradually the mole detaches itself from the edges and falls off. Honey has potent anti-bacterial properties which prevent the area from infection, and the best part of the treatment is that it does not leave any visible scars behind.
- Rinse the area with lukewarm water and pat dry.
- Add a teaspoon each of ground flaxseed powder, flaxseed oil and honey to make a paste of smooth consistency.
- Apply it directly on the moles and cover the area with gauze and medical tapes to keep it intact.
- Leave it at least for an hour, after which rinse it off with lukewarm water.
- Repeat this mode of treatment at least three times during the course of the day and you will be able to get rid of moles in a few weeks’ time.
Garlic is really one of the most effective home remedies for moles. It is considered a potent home remedy because it contains active enzymes that help disintegrate the clusters of pigment-producing cells. Additionally, it does not leave behind any marks.
- Crush a fresh garlic glove to extract the juice and place it on the mole.
- Cover it securely with a bandage and leave it on for the night, or at least for four hours.
- Do this consistently for a few days. The mole will miraculously fall off naturally. This method gives visible results within as less as five days.
- You will have to be careful to disinfect the area by rubbing alcohol or any other disinfectant before applying the remedy. Apply petroleum jelly on the area to protect the skin.
12. Banana peel
This is a remedy unknown to a lot of people; banana peels contain a number of enzymes particularly effective for treating moles. Banana peels help the moles to slough off over time.
- All you have to do is scour the inside of the banana peel and place it on the mole.
- Secure with a bandage, once the banana peel is placed over the mole.
- Let the bandage stay for the night.
- You have to continue with the remedy till you get the desired results.
So now you know how to get rid of moles easily and naturally, at home! Once you are able to do away with your unsightly moles, make sure you apply organic, cold pressed virgin coconut oil on the area to do away with any visible marks. If you do it with patience and are consistent with the remedies, you will soon be able to get flawless skin. But make sure you keep a close tab on the way your moles are shaping up.
If they even remotely change the way they look, you need to pay a visit to your dermatologist immediately. Stop yourself from undertaking synthetic creams to remove moles unless they are recommended by a doctor.