Last Updated on
Have you started with your fast metabolism diet? Congratulations! You are on the right track; soon you will experience increased energy and other positive changes in your body. If you are following each phase with great perseverance, you are sure to experience results.
But do you know that the diet is only one part of it all? You still need to complement a good diet plan with exercise. For example, if you exercise, you need to consume a small meal prior to a workout and a suitable meal post your workout too.
This will ensure greater fat loss and muscle building. A fruit is a perfect meal to have 30 minutes before you put on your sneakers and dive into an invigorating workout. Also, if you do not fuel and nourish your body right after a workout, your adrenals will incite a hormone to break down your muscle for fuel instead of fat, so poof! There go your plans to initiate fat loss and gain lean muscle.
The Three Phases
So, now you know how important is this potent combination of the right nutrition and the right workout, it forms the crux of the fast metabolism exercise plan and diet plan both, one can not possibly optimally function without the other.
Phase 1 –The Unwind Phase
Another way to describe the first phase is the unwind phase or the high cardio phase. Years of faulty nutrition education has ensured that people put carbs in the bad foods group. Actually, no foods can be regarded as bad; you just need to eat the right food at the right time. So, when you are in a high cardio phase you need to eat the right carbs.
In phase 1, the author Haylie Pomroy insists that you need to have a fruit and a carb combination prior to your workout.
For fruits, the list is fairly long for you to indulge in, such as an apple, a pear, a peach, some pieces of pineapple, and chunks of watermelon or even strawberries.
The carb option ranges from brown rice, oatmeal to quinoa and rice milk, right before your exercise schedule.
Your post workout meal is equally important, if not more. This is the phase where your muscle building is at its peak, so don’t forget some protein or rather lean protein, the options range from turkey to lentils to lean beef and not to forget, a vegetable of your choice.
Phase 2 – The Unlock Phase
Phase 2 is all about lifting weights and to give you that strength, you need to include a lean protein option like turkey, bacon or hard-boiled egg whites. These are your pre-workout eating options, your post workout eating options should include green low-calorie vegetables such as kale, arugula, and lettuce. This phase is all about increasing your metabolic power. Give strength to your workouts with the right muscle-building foods and you will be successfully able to complete the second phase or the unlock phase.
Phase 3 – The Stress Release
One day of yoga or deep-breathing can help you rejuvenate and recuperate. Also, an invigorating massage can ensure the blood blow to the area of fat accumulation in the body. Before indulging in these workouts, have a serving of vegetables like eggplants, artichokes and sweet potatoes. Once your workout is over, have a fulfilling and healthy meal that includes kale, lettuce (but not iceberg) and some healthy carbs like quinoa bread, or any sprouted-grain bread, or oatmeal.
Cardio Exercises and its Benefits on the First Phase of your Diet Plan
“Word hard at your body or go home!” This kind of slogan is enough to make you pick up your running shoes and start your workout regime. But wait a minute, we know you are working hard on your body, but are you working smart?
If you are thinking of dropping the excess pounds, then the trick is not to over strain your body but to find the sweet point between 120-150 beats per minute, which is the perfect fat burning heart rate. Also, the perfect fat burning heart rate for you depends on your age and fitness levels.
So, when you are working on your body, try to keep your heart rate in the optimal fat-burning heart rate zone. Measure your pulse and multiply it by four, this will help you find out your exact heart rate. Also, ensure that you are not completely breathless and are able to manage a conversation between your workouts.
- The right exercise can control your blood sugar levels- Cortisol, the stress hormone can do a lot of damage to your body, as instead of telling your body to get rid of the fat, it gives the opposite idea to the body – to store fat.
Exercise controls your blood sugar levels, which let your adrenal glands to do the job on their own and release the fat-burning hormones to obviously burn fat instead of store fat. So, less cortisol means less fat storage, it’s a simple equation to follow.
- Turn your body into a fat-burning machine- Why do cardiovascular exercises work? They work for the simple reason that they prepare your body to make your body burn fat and put all the extra energy to good use. So, when you do cardio, it burns that fat from the food you eat. The foods we are talking about are the healthy carbs and natural sugars which are easy to metabolize.
The rest of the fuel your body needs comes from the fat your body holds on to for dear life. Finally, you are able to utilize the stored fat of your body. As you do not consume any fat during the first phase of your diet, the body utilizes the stored fat. You give your body the right fuel and immediately, the weight you took so many pains to get rid of finally comes off.
- Endorphins galore- The right exercises can flush your body with a lot of feel-good hormones, endorphins, and catecholamines, but it is not necessary to do conventional exercises only to accelerate the promotion of endorphins.
Do the exercise you like best; it can be dancing, biking out in the open air or a spot of Zumba, anything to make your pump and incite the release of the feel-good hormones, which only happens when the fuel is converted to energy.
When it comes to weight loss, you are caught in the vicious cycle of fad diets, exercising hard and then going back to binging because you are unable to shed the excess pounds, so when you do cardio during the first phase, you are able to break this cycle and successfully lose weight.
- Stress and its impact on your weight- When you are stressed out, the hormone secreted can affect your metabolism in a negative way and hence you find it that much harder to lose weight. So, the first thing that has to go is stress and exercise is a great way to ensure that you eliminate stress from your life.
Some Cardio Exercises to do In the First Phase of your Diet
Since we already know that cardio exercises are what you should do in the first phase of your fast metabolism diet, let us discuss some of the exercises which you can do.
- Dance- This is one of the simplest exercises you can do, and you don’t even have to be a pro at dancing to enjoy it. Just put on some dance music and you pretty much in for a fun ride because you won’t treat it like a workout anyway.
All you get at the end of a dance workout is some indulgent me-time, endorphins galore and a huge number of calories burned. Try to stick to 30 minutes but you can stretch it beyond the stipulated 30 minutes. Trust me, you are going to enjoy it so much that you won’t ever complain!
- Show some HIIT love- If you are one of those people who keeps on looking at the clock wishing your workout time was a little shorter, then you are at the right place, HIIT is the way to go. Why should you jump on to the HIIT bandwagon, you ask? We will give you several reasons to embrace HIIT workouts right now.
- It is fast- You can pack in huge physiologic benefits with a shorter workout than long boring workouts, read steady cardio.
- Makes your heart rate pump fast- Since you alternate between high and low periods of intensity, it makes the heart work that much harder to pump blood through the body.
- HIIT increases your total workout calorie burn- Though the workouts are short, they ensure more calorie burn, as they’re more intense.
- Jump rope– What is this one equipment that you can carry everywhere you go and the effect of which is more impactful than a run in the park? You guessed it right, the jump rope! It provides a super intensive work out right within the confines of your home.
It is fast and quite difficult to do, but once you get the drift, you will be amazed at its far reaching effects. Now, it is not everyone’s forte to pull off a 15-minute workout at one go. Try to include a jump rope workout into that of an HIIT workout and the effect is as good, if not better.
The Metabolism-Boosting Phase 2 workouts
How to increase your metabolism? The answer to this question is pretty simple, you just need to do the following exercises and you will be sorted, because when you do exercises with your own body weight, it ensures a greater fat burn and for a longer period of time. Increasing muscle mass increases your resting metabolic rate. Here are some of the exercises you can do,
This is one of the best exercises to work on your chest and pectorals and will help you lose weight too. You might find it difficult to master it from the start, so start doing wall push ups first or on elevated surfaces like the bench or even the kitchen counter. Make sure your back is ramrod straight.
Get yourself on to a plank position and lower yourself down, make it more challenging by dipping yourself as low as possible, almost touching the ground. It works your entire body, your arms, your core, your lower body and can be done just about anywhere.
The squat is one of the best exercises for your lower body. It challenges you and works on your glutes, calf muscles and thighs like no other. But this is one exercise that most people do wrong, so before you squat your way to a perfect lower body; get your squat posture right. Instead of putting your weight on your knees, put your weight on your heel.
Get your posture right and squat right by bending your knees at a 90-degree angle. Your knees and toes should be in one direction. Don’t just sit down; put the weight on your heels. When you get your posture right, you can bring up the difficulty level a notch higher.
3. Sculpting class
Your body can be sculpted right, the way you want it, by lifting Most gyms offer a weightlifting class which will tone you and build muscles by lifting the right weights at a slow and controlled pace. This is how you build lean mass and get that elusive toned and fit body.
The Third Phase Workouts- Stress-Free Workouts
In this phase, both the dietary regime and the exercise is easy to follow. You need to add some relaxing techniques to calm you down and help your body recuperate after the high-intensity exercises. The following exercises can help you lower stress, build muscles and make you feel good.
1. Yoga – Yoga is a wonderful way to relax your body and mind, and also improves respiration, vitality, and energy. Health is a synergy of the body and mind, and yoga embodies that perfectly.
2. Pilates – Pilates is very similar to yoga as the movements are slow and rhythmic and it also employs the mind. This helps you to build muscles while clearing your mind as well.
3. Tai chi – Tai chi is another option to try which is gentle on your body and an incredible way to reduce stress from your body.
The fast metabolism diet is very effective in boosting your metabolism and losing weight, provided you support it with the right exercises. Once you are on board, your weight loss dreams will be very much within striking distance! So, go ahead and begin your weight loss journey with a lot of resolve and verve.