Last Updated on
Healthy people are those who live in healthy homes on a healthy diet. If you are looking for a healthy eating plan, then Mediterranean diet might be the right one for you. Many environmentalists, chefs and dietitians across the world agree that incorporating Mediterranean diet in our lives is one of the best healthy diet plan ever. The diet includes traditional foods from all the countries surrounding the Mediterranean Sea and is considered as the model of healthy living. Built on the foundation of vegetables, fruits, whole grains, chicken and fish, if eaten regularly this diet has the ability to lower the risk of many diseases like heart aches, type 2 diabetes, cancer, Alzheimer’s disease and etc.
Amazing Health Benefits of Mediterranean Diet Plan
Mediterranean Diet- A Healthy Switch
One need not be an expertise at cooking when opting for a Mediterranean diet. Mediterranean diet food recipes deliver the most delicious munches, which are easy to prepare yourself. This diet is highly admired and respected for its culinary reputation. Researchers have proved that this diet has the ability to increase the longevity of the person, and improve the brain power of older people when compared to other low fat diets. Combining this food with extra virgin olive oil or mixed nuts would be an add-on. A little amount of meat is also included in this diet and most of the fat found in this is unsaturated. Mediterranean diet meals offers an affordable, balanced and healthy promoting lifestyle when followed along with your regular workouts.
Studies proved that those who are consistent in following this diet showed very low rates of heart risks, and other factors including blood pressure, cholesterol, and obesity. However chances of type 2 diabetes were not minimized as they didn’t quit smoking. So in order to achieve better results you not only have to follow a healthy diet plan, but also should adopt a healthy lifestyle. Doing this you surely will observe a positive impact in your well being, in your energy levels and your mood swings. You can check out the in the below article.
Mediterranean Diet Meal Planning Tips:
Love Your Fats:
Don’t be a fat phobic. There are many techniques in Mediterranean Diet to lose weight. You have to incorporate good fats into your diet and must focus on having a balanced meal. Mediterranean diet meals are all about healthy and tasty fats as olive oil, nuts, seeds, and fish are the good sources of unsaturated fat. Removing bad fats out of your diet that sum up for high cholesterol levels and including good fats that provide low cholesterol levels helps in losing calories. This in turn helps you to maintain weight.
Mix Up Your Grains:
Eliminating wheat, white grains and any other food sources that are rich in carbohydrates to lose weight doesn’t support Mediterranean Diet Plan. To the contrary, the Mediterranean diet includes ample amounts of carbs, proteins and grains which are a blend of both white and refined grains like pasta, white bread, brown bread, brown rice, and couscous.
Try different types of multi-grain pastas like Barilla Plus, barley or millet that contain high sources of protein, fiber and omega 3 fatty acids. Include these types of foods when trying out some fresh salad for either lunch or supper. Tossing them with fresh herbs, veggies and olive oil work well.
Eat Pretty Food:
Mediterranean diet contains a lot many veggies that include peas, beans (legumes), nuts, seeds and oil, grains, wide varieties of fruits, and other some small portions of poultry, seafood, cheese and meat. Eggplant, broccoli rabe and arugula are also included and are loaded with lot many phytonutrients that prevent from cancer and heart diseases.
Binge on to some grilled eggplant slices brushed with olive oil and garlic, broccoli rabe roasted with olive oil, and balsamic vinegar which are some of the delicious munches to dive into. Arugula may be combined along with mushroom pizza or it can be added to any fresh veggie salad topped with some olive oil vinaigrette and lemon juice. Besides this, a good meal is always accompanied with a glass of wine which is a true Mediterranean style.
Add Only Sensible Portions of Meat, Poultry or Sea Food:
Eating huge amounts of meat, poultry or fish to boost your body with high levels of carbohydrates and proteins may be the right choice if you are not following this kind of diet. But when you are opting for Mediterranean diet, these foods are to be taken in sensible amounts to get enough protein and carbs.
Adding seafood and fish to your Mediterranean diet weekly meal can be considered as the great additions. Instead you can add other protein rich sources like beans, legumes and chick peas along with some soup, salad or bean dip. Most likely Mediterranean diet emphasizes more on plant based diet which is not only good for our healthy living but also for our environment.
Top 10 Commandments of Mediterranean Diet:
Follow these 10 instructions when you want to follow a Mediterranean diet plan. Besides eating healthy foods, involve the following healthy giving principles:
- Consider olive oil as the main food in your diet and include 60 ml of amount per day.
- Include 100 grams of green leafy vegetables, 100 grams of tomatoes and 200 grams of vegetables everyday in your meals.
- Include at least 250 grams of legumes per serve in your meals per week.
- Eat at least 2 servings of fish in your meal plan that contains about 150 – 200 grams/ serve in a week. Include fish oil supplements if needed and fish like canned sardines, canned salmon, blue mackerel etc.,
- Include smaller portions of meat like beef, lamb, pork and chicken and they should be taken more than once or twice a week.
- Start eating a fruit every day and include dried fruits and nuts as snacks or desserts.
- Eat about 200 grams of yogurt everyday and about 30 to 40 grams of cheese in moderation.
- Include whole grain breads of about 3- 4 slices and cereals into your diet along with meals.
- If you cannot skip alcohol consume about 100 mls of wine each day but don’t get drunk too often.
- Limit the intake of sweets as much as you can and on necessary terms you can have them on any special occasions.
Health Benefits of Mediterranean Diet:
The benefits of Mediterranean food diet is beyond the level of human thinking. They not only just add a value to the term ‘Nutrition’, but it has also created a great impact on economic and ecological resources. As this diet is naturally rich in traditional foods they contain many anti oxidant rich fruits and vegetables. Here are some key benefits of Mediterranean diet:
- As they include only foods rich in HDL (good) cholesterol one can prevent falling prey to obesity. Encouraging children to eat this kind of food is highly beneficial and one can overcome childhood obesity which is a serious threat in recent times.
- It lowers the risk of diseases that needs permanent medication like type 2 diabetes, raised blood cholesterol, and high blood pressure. It also helps in preventing any kind of cardiovascular diseases. To achieve this once can also attempt doing some best cardio workouts along with following this kind of diet.
- It increases the chances of longevity which is due to the reduction of risks of cancer and heart strokes. Studies proved that it can reduce the risk of death at any stage by 20 percent.
- Some of the results have confirmed that it also reduced the incidence of Alzheimer’s disease and Parkinson’s disease.
- The diet also improves brain power which showed the signs of cognitive decline in older people boosts energy levels and helps us stay physically and mentally active if eaten regularly.
Are you ready to adhere to a Mediterranean style diet soon? Do let us know via comments. Happy and Healthy Living!