Last Updated on
Do you think this summer will eat away your healthy glowing skin? Well, looking at the scorching sun, and burning flames, I think this is the right time to protect your skin from tan and darkness. Skin care in summer calls for special attention because during the summer season the skin natural oils start flowing freely which makes the skin appear dull, oily and blemished. In addition, the increased susceptibility to the UV rays of the sun not results in skin tanning, but also increases the problems of dark patches and wrinkles. Natural remedies are the best way to remove sunburn and skin tan. Many people go out on summer vacations without proper protection. Doing this can harm your skin, as it is the most sensitive part of your body.
Tanning is one of the major problems during summer, and most people try to find a quick solution to it by using chemical laden bleach or opting from cosmetic peeling procedures. But, these quick solutions have several side effects and cause severe damage to the skin. Therefore, you should know how to protect your skin from burning summer sun with simple home remedies that also function as natural remedy for pimple and acne removal. Check out the below article to find out how you can avoid tan in this hot summer.
The Mechanism of Skin Tanning
Sun burn or sun tan is a common problem faced by all of us, and the skin can get tanned any time it is not protected by sunscreen or clothes. The main reason behind skin tanning is a compound called melanin that is present in the skin. Our skin gets its colour thanks to melanin and people with darker skin have more melanin compares to people with lighter skin tone.
The body normally creates melanin as a response to sun exposure in order to protect he inner layers of the skin from damage. This is the reason why skin changes colour after prolonged exposure to sunlight. Other than tanning or burning, some people also get freckles and uneven patches on the skin. In severe cases, excessive exposure to UV rays of the sun or getting a fake tan using tanning lamps or tanning beds can lead to Melanoma, the most serious form of skin cancer caused by DNA damage.
4 Simple Homemade Remedies to Protect Your Skin from Summer Tan
If you don’t take enough care from UV rays, you will end up with different shades of darkness at the end of the summer. Most of us live in an illusion that we need to burn the pockets to buy such expensive spa products that help you in lighten the tan. Not necessary, here are some quick homemade remedies that can be easily prepared but with a little patience.
Lemon and Aloe Vera Face Pack
Lemon is one of the best citrus fruits that have rich medicinal and cosmetic benefits. No doubt, it is widely used in various skin and hair care remedies as well as skin care products. Lemon is a natural bleaching agent and an antioxidant which combats the free radicals that accumulate on skin surfaces. It is rich in vitamin C, and the intake of lemon juice would fetch you a glowing skin. Aloe Vera on the other side is a short stemmed succulent plant that produces six antiseptics. These natural antiseptics have the super power to kill any kind of bacteria, fungi and viruses that settle on the skin due to pollution, dust and other reasons.
Benefits of Lemon and Aloe Vera Face Pack:
This is one of the most effective home remedies to remove tan. Lemon can be used as a bleaching agent to lighten your skin tone naturally without causing any harm to it. All you need to do is juice a lemon and besides that also mash the aloe vera leaves. Mix them properly until an aromatic paste is formed. Apply this onto the tanned area of the skin and allow it to dry. You need to apply this paste twice or thrice a day to cleanse and prevent your skin from getting tanned from time-to-time. This is also an effective cure for dark circles around eyes.
Curd and Gram Flour Face Pack
Curd is basically a diary product which plays a major role in the growth of bones. It is very rich in calcium, magnesium and other nutrients that help in strengthening your bones. Besides this, the unknown fact is that it can be used as a great exfoliating agent that removes dead skin cells and also moisturizes the skin deeply. It helps in cooling the skin that is continuously exposed to sunlight for hours. Gram flour is widely used in whitening your skin and it really helps in giving an instant glow to your skin.
Benefits of Curd and Gram Flour Face Pack:
This face pack is one of the time-tested home remedies for tanning that can also be used as a scrub or exfoliator that is the most effective natural solution to the question of how to get rid of dead skin cells from the skin surface. Take curd and gram flour in equal quantities and mix well by adding lemon juice in proportions. Apply this paste to face, neck and other body parts such as hands and feet. Pat it dry and wash it with warm water. This can be applied twice a week which ultimately results in soft glowing skin.
Turmeric Powder, Yogurt and Honey Face Pack
Turmeric powder is the basic common ingredient in every kitchen and is best known antiseptic/anti- bacterial agent. It is used in relieving the pain and as a disinfectant that is usually caused due to cuts and burns. Turmeric is also an age old home remedy that has been used in Ayurveda to treat various skin diseases. Yogurt is a dairy product just as curd and it has a gel like texture. Honey, a sweetening agent can be considered as one of the best natural moisturizing agents that helps skin retain its supple and elastic nature. It is used in various cosmetic preparations and is an antioxidant that helps in healing wounds.
Benefits of Turmeric Powder, Yogurt and Honey Face Pack:
Turmeric or holy powder used in this face pack makes it a potent homemade remedy for tan removal and as a moisturizing agent for treating dry skin in summer. In summer, it is really required to keep your skin moist because the body is much subjected to dehydration. This results in dry skin, and it loses its luster in the process. In order to overcome this, it is better to keep yourself hydrated by drinking lots of water from inside and outside too. Make a thick paste by mixing all the three ingredients well. Apply this pack on the dried skin and leave it for 15-20 minutes. Later, rinse it off with cold water. This pack helps in moisturizing and radiating your skin under the dire circumstances.
Sandal wood and Rosewater Face Pack
Sandalwood has rich benefits especially when it comes to accomplishing a fairer skin. It is used in the treatments of acne and skin aging. The soothing and cooling properties of sandalwood make it the perfect remedy for relieving sun tan and severe sunburn. Rose water is one of the best beauty products and is used in aroma therapies. It can be used as a cleanser, toner and leaves you with a refreshing feeling. The combination of sandalwood and rose water makes this pack the perfect natural remedy for sun tan removal in a gentle and nourishing way.
Benefits of Sandal wood and Rosewater Face Pack:
This face pack can be used as a cleanser. Make a thick paste of white or red sandalwood powder and rosewater and apply it to face. Wait for 20 minutes and allow it to dry. After this wash it with cold water and always use a soft towel to clean up your washed face. This paste relieves you from sun burns and other suntan effects.
The above-mentioned face packs are completely natural, and will help you in removing the tan gradually. These above face packs will help in summer, and all other seasons accordingly. It is suggested to clean your face before applying such packs so that the dust and other small particles don’t stay inside. Remember that you should never apply these face packs on the unclean face. Always use a soft cloth to clean your face after washing.
Helpful Skin Tips for Summer
Now, you can beat the summer tan and flaunt yourshort dresses and tank tops in style without the fear of getting tanned by following these few simple skin tips for summer.
- The first and foremost thing that should be listed in your summer skin care list is a good sunscreen from a reliable company with SPF of 40 or above. Applying sunscreen creams and lotions on the skin before going out into the sun helps in protecting the skin from the harsh UV-A and UV-B rays of the sun. The sunscreen lotion should be applied at least 15 to 30 minutes before going out in the sun.
- Keep yourself hydrated at all times by drinking at least 15 to 20 glasses of water throughout the day. This also helps in preventing skin dryness and keeping the skin moisturized.
- Specially formulated sun protection skin should be applied by people who like to spend time in the sun or swim regularly. It helps in preventing sunburn and formation of rashes and blisters. The creams should be re-applied every 20 minutes because it can be washed away with
- Swimming in chlorinated water speeds up the tanning process, so it is mandatory to cleanse your skin and hair with fresh water after taking a swim in the pool.
- Just like winter, it is important to use a moisturizer in summer also, but it should be a water-based moisturizer that effectively tones and moisturizes the skin without making it too oily.
- It is important to keep the skin of the face fresh and clean by washing it with cold water 3 to 4 times a day, face cleansers should not be used more than twice per day.
- Toning the face with a soothing herbal toner is a natural treatment for oily skin that helps in reducing excess oil, sebum and dirt from the skin surface.
- It is best to avoid going out in the sun as much as possible. You should try to avoid the sun during 11 A.M to 4 P.M because the sun rays are the harshest at this time.
- Don’t apply perfume on your skin while out in the sun because the psoralen present in perfumes, especially citrus perfumes can stain your skin permanently when the react with the sun rays.
- In a hurry to apply the sunscreen don’t skip your lip protection and eye creams because the skin around your eyes and lips are really delicate that is more susceptible to tan and wrinkles.
- In case you forget to apply sunscreen while going out in the sun, you can make up for the damage caused by applying natural aloe vera gel or cool green tea on your face to soothe the burnt skin.
- Warm showers during the summer season can further dry out your skin ans make it susceptible to tanning. So, opt for cool showers in order to keep the skin fresh and hydrated.
- Wear mineral makeup during summer because it is lighter than the cream based ones which allow the skin to breathe and lasts longer in sweating conditions.
- Usage of sunglasses, hats and other accessories minimizes the UV radiations from reaching your body. Opt for a wide-brimmed hat instead of caps because it provides complete protection to your entire face.
- When it comes to skin care, a lot depends on the right foods. Eat skin-friendly foods such as vegetables and fruits in the form of salads, steamed veggies, juices and smoothies in order to load up on antioxidants and flavonoids and reduce the intake of sugar, refined foods and processed foods.
I hope that you find this article helpful in giving you the beneficiary tips on how to get rid of tan, sunburn and other side effects. So, forget bleach and cosmetic peeling and get naturally glowing skin with these glowing skin home remedies. Feel free to comment via the below section! Happy Summer!