Castor oil is an oil which has an enormous impact on our health, skin, and hair. In fact, it has such a long list of benefits that it is regarded as the go-to remedy for most of the common ailments. Right from our grandmothers to us, we have all been benefited some way or the other by castor oil. It has great anti-bacterial and anti-inflammatory properties and hence been the chief ingredient of soaps, shampoos and also medicines.
A bottle of pure organic castor oil must be an intrinsic part of our beauty and health regime. If you already have one and don’t know exactly how to use it, we will give you the remedies, benefits and the works, so the next time you have a hair fall issue or a skin problem, you will know how to find the perfect solution.
The History of the Castor Oil
The oil is extracted from the seeds of the Castor plant, scientific name- Ricinus communis. It is also known as the seeds of the Palma Christi plant, still better known as ‘palm of Christ’ and it’s been in use since as far back as 1550 B. C. The ancient Egyptians used this very oil to treat eye disorders. Now you will even find it on television, endorsed by Tom and Jerry as their go to laxative when they have a problem with bowel movements.
Benefits of Castor Oil for your Hair
We all want thick, glossy hair which is long and completely problem-free. Think it is too much to ask for? Not really, if take the help of castor oil. It will not only restore the health of your hair, but also make it thick and shiny, just the kind of hair you will want to happily flaunt.
1. Castor oil for hair growth
If you really want to thicken your hair, then castor oil will surely come to your aid. If you massage the oil into your hair follicles, the blood circulation will ensure that your hair experiences a sudden growth spurt. Castor oil contains both omega-6 and omega-9 fatty acids, which are really useful to stimulate thick hair growth. You need to do this regularly to get great results.
Remedy for hair growth:
- What you need to do is warm the oil slightly and massage it into your scalp.
- Make sure each strand of your hair is coated with oil.
- If you find it just too greasy, you can also dilute it to reduce its thick consistency. You can mix it with coconut oil or sweet almond oil in a 1:1 ratio.
- Use turban therapy to ensure that the oil seeps inside your hair follicles.
- Let it stay overnight and wash it off the next morning. You might have to wash it two or three times to get rid of the greasy oil. But it is well worth the effort.
- In no time, you will be able to flaunt thick, shiny and thick hair.
2. Treats dandruff and other scalp conditions
Castor oil also boasts of antifungal and antibacterial properties. If you are suffering from a persistent problem of dandruff, all you have to do is apply castor oil and your dandruff will soon go away. The antifungal and anti-bacterial properties of the oil work here.
The remedy for dandruff: If you have dry hair and dandruff, utilizing this remedy will definitely do away with your irritating dandruff problem and yes, you can even flaunt your black outfits with élan.
- Blend 1 tablespoon of castor oil along with one tablespoon of olive oil, and with that combine a juice of half a lemon.
- Apply it on your hair, leave it overnight and then wash off with a mild herbal shampoo.
If you have oily hair and a dandruff problem, there is what you can do,
- Mix one tablespoon of the following ingredients: castor oil, honey and aloe vera gel.
- Combine it with the juice of half a lemon.
- Gently massage the hair mask on the roots of your hair for a good 30 minutes.
- Shampoo your hair, followed by a conditioner.
- This effective mask shows exemplary results; it does away with dandruff and also makes your hair thick and shiny.
3. Castor oil can work its wonders on your split ends
Sometimes, the ends of hair become too dry, and you end up with split ends. Snipping off the ends can be a good idea, but there is a better idea and you don’t need to sacrifice the length of your hair for that.
Remedy for split ends:
- Apply castor oil on the ends of your hair just an hour before you shampoo.
- You need to do this regularly to see great results. Soon, the dry ends of your hair will look moisturized and healthier.
4. Castor oil for Shiny hair
Dull and lifeless hair can be a real nightmare! Instead of going for expensive spa treatments, a DIY mask with castor oil can really work wonders on your dull, undernourished hair. Eggs are chock-a-block with protein. Protein is essential to make the hair follicles stronger, and stronger hair is less likely to break. Therefore, you’ll also have fewer split ends. Apart from enhancing its resistance to breakage, applying eggs on your hair also help in making hair tangle free and smooth. Together, they make a potent mask.
Remedy for dull hair:
- Take one tablespoon honey, two tablespoons castor oil and add one egg.
- Mix all the ingredients to form a thick mask and then apply this mask carefully on your hair.
- Let the mask stay on your hair for about an hour or so, shampoo your hair and then conditioner to get baby soft hair.
5. To get thick eyebrows
Many women have sparse hair on their eyebrows due to many factors. Over-plucking or over-threading may be a reason, or it might even be underlying thyroid disease. Whatever it is, you can thicken your eyebrows by the presence of fatty acid content and activate your hair follicles with castor oil. The one thing that makes castor oil really effective is its high penetrative power, which helps the oil seep right in, ensuring abundant hair growth.
Remedy for thicker eyebrows:
- Rub some castor oil onto your eyebrows every night before you hit the sack and it will help nourish and make your eyebrows really thick and strong.
- It also activates the growth of hair. Just a couple of weeks of applying castor oil on your eyebrows can give great results.
6. Longer eyelashes
If you desire to have longer eyelashes, but don’t want to go for expensive cosmetic treatments, then you can definitely go for a castor oil treatment. Castor oil is full of nutrients; hence it is used for the treatment of niggling problems which are the result of lack of nutrition. It is a well-accepted anti-inflammatory product as well. It can naturally help moisturize and provide hydration to the area where it is applied. It also has deep penetrating properties and hence seeps in deep to provide wonderful results.
Remedy for thin eyelashes:
- Clean the skin properly by washing with warm water.
- Use a towel to dry it off.
- Take the help of a cotton swab or an eyeliner brush and dip it in the castor oil.
- Apply the oil directly onto the eyelashes.
- Use the cotton swab to soak the excess oil by using the dry end of the swab. Let the oil stay for the night.
- Next morning, wash off the eyes with water.
- You need to do it regularly for best results.
Benefits of Castor oil on your Skin
Castor oil is a great moisturizer for dry skin. As it is extremely viscous, the oil stays put, and it penetrates deep into the skin, seeping in the various layers, nourishing it with fatty acids. There are many creams which have castor oil as a main ingredient, so instead of reaching out for expensive creams which have a host of additives and chemicals like parabens, use a pure cold-pressed variety, which has greater benefits.
1. Anti-aging elixir
Castor oil seeps deep into the skin, softens it considerably and provides the right degree of hydration. The oil also helps the proliferation of elastin and collagen, which delays the onset of fine lines and wrinkles.
Remedy for wrinkled skin
- Blend 1/4 of castor oil and 3/4 sesame oil for dry skin.
- Blend 1/4 of castor oil and 3/4 grapeseed oil (or olive oil) for normal skin.
- Blend 1/4 of castor oil and 3/4 jojoba oil for oily skin.
Gently massage your face in the evening with the oil concoction suited to your skin, then put a slightly warm moist cloth on your face and let it stay for a minute or two. Then soak away the excess oil with the help of a cotton pad. Your skin will be soft and moisturized.
2. Sunburn remedy
If you have just returned from an invigorating vacation at the beach with skin burnt brown like an acorn, you can do two one of two things. You can panic and worry about your damaged skin or just stay calm and use castor oil. Yes, castor oil is very effective in removing sun tan.
The remedy for sunburnt skin: Blend two tablespoons of castor oil with coconut oil on the areas of the skin which have been particularly affected. Yes, it is as simple as that. The suntan will go away in a matter of days.
3. Lightens stretch marks
Just had a baby or have lost a lot of weight recently? Instead of rejoicing over your tiny bundle of joy or your newly acquired slim figure, you are left mulling over the ugly stretch marks on your body. Try castor oil, as it has a presence of a fatty acid called ricinoleic acid, which sets it apart from other similar oils. Its lubricating properties help moisturize the skin, enhancing its skin renewal properties. This is how it helps with lightening stretch marks too.
How to use it: Massage your skin using this oil with gentle strokes at least twice a day and you will see results in a month’s time. You can also use this oil to prevent stretch marks. So if you are pregnant and want to reduce the appearance of stretch marks, use this for sure.
4. Works as lip balm
Winters can prove to be really harsh for your skin and especially your lips. However much you try, you fail to make your lips soft and moisturized with any of the lip balms available in the market. Castor oil works great to moisturize your lips.
The remedy for chapped lips: All you have to do is massage this oil on your lips for a minute before you sleep. Rinse off with cold water next morning. Your lips will stay hydrated and moisturized throughout the entire winter season.
5. Castor oil helps remove acne
When castor oil is utilized for acne; it brings out the dirt out of the skin, along with the bacteria. It also sloughs off dead skin cells and excess oils. Though it is a heavy oil, it does not clog pores and effectively cleanses the skin. It deeply penetrates the skin and cures acne.
Remedy for acne:
- Dip the towel in a pot of steaming water.
- Spread the towel over your head and cover it completely as you lean your face over the steaming water. This will help open up the pores so that the castor oil can seep into your skin.
- The next thing you should do is wet the washcloth with lukewarm water, and apply a little amount of castor oil on the moistened cloth.
- Use the washcloth to gently rub castor oil all over your acne-affected areas, using circular motions.
- Let the castor oil remain on your face for the night.
- Use a damp cloth to rub off the oil.
- Wash your skin with plenty of cold water. The warm water had opened up your pores; the cold water will now shrink them.
- Use a mild cleanser to wash off the residue of castor oil.
6. Castor oil for Cracked Heels
Cracked heels look really unsightly and can be really painful. Castor oil can almost miraculously hydrate and soften your feet. Castor oil is rich in nutrients and vitamins, and also has a wealth of anti-inflammatory and anti-bacterial properties.
Remedy for cracked heels:
- Apply a generous layer of the very effective castor oil on your cracked heels.
- Put on socks and let the oil seep into the cracks. Let it stay overnight. The morning after, you will notice a much softened and moisturized feet.
7. Castor oil for scars
The fatty acids present in castor oil, like omega – 3, penetrate deeply through the outer layer of the skin and heal the scar tissue, as well as erase the scars completely by accelerating the growth of new cells. It pulls out the dirt, excess oil, bacteria, and dead skin cells from the skin. It also activates the lymphatic system, which increases the lymphocytes in the body to sure that the skin looks smooth and the scars are lightened. It effectively moisturizes the skin and helps with cell regeneration. It detoxifies healthy cells and help activate proper blood circulation. It is rich in unsaturated fatty acids, minerals, proteins, and vitamin E, which reduce acne scars to a great extent.
Remedy for scars:
- Clean the affected area thoroughly with the help of a mild soap.
- Steam your face for a good few minutes to activate and open up your pores.
- Take a small amount of castor oil in your palm and apply it all over the affected skin right before you go off to sleep.
- Massage with gentle strokes for a few minutes so that the oil perforates deep into the skin.
- Leave the oil overnight on the skin and rinse off in the next morning.
- Repeat this process twice a day to get results.
There are a myriad of benefits of castor oil for the skin in addition to its other benefits. The fact that there is a natural solution to our never ending beauty woes in the form of castor oil makes it an absolute winner. So keep a bottle of pure organic castor oil in your beauty cabinet, you won’t regret it, for sure!